5 Fall Desserts You Can Actually Make In Your Dorm Room

5 Fall Recipes Every Cinnamon And Pumpkin-Loving Student With A Sweet Tooth Can Make In Their Dorm

Fall foods just got dorm-friendly!

242
icing pouring over cinnamon roll

If you couldn't tell by the falling leaves on the orange and red trees, Autumn is officially upon us! Here are five of my favorite dorm-friendly fall recipes, that probably aren't your usual go-to's.

1. Pumpkin Waffles

@basilandbooze

Pumpkin Waffles are the perfect dish when you're looking to make something impressive, yet incredibly easy. This breakfast will satisfy all of your pumpkin cravings, while preparing you for a long day of zoom school, or wherever else campus life is leading you.

Ingredients:

(*makes about 2 mini waffles)

• 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 TBS pumpkin purée
  • 1 TSP baking soda
  • 1/2 TSP pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 TBSP maple syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • some chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients together.
  2. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  3. Spray the mini waffle iron and let it get really hot.
  4. Pour the mixture in the waffle iron and cook for about 1-2 mins.

Appliance Needed: Waffle iron

2. PSL Mug Cake

@thepeachyprodigy

Pour out your pumpkin spice latte filled mug, this cake needs the spotlight! This Pumpkin Spiced Latte Mug Cake is the perfect treat to warm you up on cold nights in your dorm.

It's easy in every possible way: one mug to clean, and one microwave to use, and a delicious, single serving of cake to enjoy. What more could you ask for? (Besides another serving, lol)

Ingredients:

Base:

• 4 tbsp flour (all purpose or gluten free)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin purée
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp nut milk

Frosting:

• @simplemills frosting (you can also use a vanilla greek yogurt if you wish!)
  • 1 tsp pumpkin purée
  • 1/2 tsp @traderjoes pumpkin spice

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients together in mug
  2. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes

Or

1. Microwave for about 1 minute or until the toothpick comes out clean
  2. Top with icing and enjoy

Appliance needed: Microwave

3. Vegan Apple Crisps

@basilandbooze

Need a way to use those apples you picked last weekend during your trip to the orchard? These Vegan Apple Crisp Cups are your best way to impress your friends with your creativity in the kitchen. Bye bye apple pie, these babies are here to stay!

Ingredients:

Filling:

• 1 large apple
  • Cinnamon
  • Dash of maple syrup

Crust:

• 1/2 stick of vegan or non vegan butter (1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1.5 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbs flour

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl mix together the oats, flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
  3. Add in the butter at room temperature until the crust forms.
  4. Spray a baking tin — you can use mini cupcake tin, regular cupcake tins or these square tins that I have.
  5. Press some of the batter into the tin to form cups. Bake for about 18-20 minutes.
  6. While the crust is baking peel dice and core a large apple and add it to a pot.
  7. Add in about a tablespoon of maple syrup (you can also add sugar or more maple syrup if you want it sweeter) and a ton of cinnamon.
  8. Mix together in low heat until the apples are fork tender.
  9. Remove the cups from the baking tin and add the apple mixture.
  10. You can top with whip cream or ice cream or eat them plain!

Appliance Needed: Oven / Toaster Oven

4. Spicy Pumpkin Flatbreads

@justinesnacks

These Spicy Pumpkin Flatbreads are the perfect compromise for those who may not have much of a sweet tooth, but are craving some fall flavors. The flatbreads can be utilized in any way your heart desires, but Justine suggests pairing them with either roasted butternut squash soup, or chickpea curry.

You can also repurpose the flatbreads as a wrap, she prefers to add kale, tofu, avocado, and pickled red onions. Or, if you're looking to use them with your breakfast, Justine likes them topped with avocado, a tofu scramble or egg, and hot sauce.

These flatbreads will turn your every day meals up a notch and get you in the fall spirit.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour, plus some for rolling out
  • ¾ tsp baking powder
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tbsp whole milk plain yogurt (vegan yogurt also works here!)
  • 1 tsp each rosemary, thyme, salt and red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp oil for griddling

Directions:

1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, rosemary, thyme, salt and red pepper flakes.
  2. Add the pumpkin and yogurt and mix into a rough dough.
  3. Form the dough into a ball, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
  4. Then cut it into 4 even pieces and on a floured surface, roll them into circles with a rolling pin.
  5. The dough will be delicate so add flour as needed when rolling it out.
  6. Then in a pan on medium-high heat, griddle each flatbread in oil, flipping when large bubbles form and the flatbread is golden brown.

Appliance Needed: Stove / Hot plate

5. Chai-Spiced Oatmeal Pecan Cookies

@amywilichowski

Step up your cookie game with these Chai Spiced Oatmeal Pecan Cookies.

The best snack to have by your computer during your next zoom class, or scary movie night. Amy Wilichowski says these are best served dunked in a hot cup of coffee!

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup slightly softened, cubed butter (exposed to heat for 5 seconds only)
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp chai spice (I made my own at home using the recipe in the next reel)
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup pecan pieces

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs.
  3. Mix in the vanilla extract.
  4. Sift together all of the dry ingredients except the pecan pieces.
  5. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture 1/2 cup at a time, beating or mixing constantly.
  6. Fold in the nuts.
  7. Roll into balls, arrange evenly apart on a prepared baking sheet, press the tops down with the back of a cup or your hand, and bake for 12 minutes.
  8. Let cool completely before eating. This made 13 medium-large cookies for me!

*to make gluten-free, use gf oats and substitute 3/4 cup blanched almond flour + 1/4 cup coconut flour for the all purpose flour*

Appliance Needed: Oven / Toaster Oven

There are an endless amount of fall recipes to indulge in. However, these recipes are dorm friendly, innovative, and exceptionally delicious. I hope you'll give them a try. Happy Cooking!

From Your Site Articles