Fake It 'Til You Make It

Fake It 'Til You Make It

A valuable lesson from my summer job.

11
Life, Love, and Yoga

This summer, I did something I said I'd never do again: sought a job in the restaurant industry. When I was 18, I had a pretty awful experience working at a chain restaurant, causing me to seek jobs in anything but the food industry. This summer, I didn't have much of a choice, and I spent three months working for Logan's Roadhouse. After my time there, I have left with some pretty valuable lessons. The most important lesson I learned is that sometimes, you just have to fake it 'til you make it. When I would walk through the doors to work, I would leave behind however I was feeling. Wish I could be out with my friends? That sucks, but let it go. Tired because I didn't get enough sleep? Drink some coffee and pretend you're wide awake. Cranky because you're getting a million snapchats from your friends at the beach? Don't let your table see it.

Faking enthusiasm, while sometimes frowned upon, is definitely encouraged when you're at work. And honestly, it makes the day go by so much faster. When guests can tell that you're in a happy, upbeat mood, they're more willing to talk to you, and who doesn't want someone new to talk to during a twelve hour shift? Not to mention is does wonders for your tips.

This lesson will help me not just in the workforce but in all areas of life. Awkward family party you couldn't get out of? Pretend to be excited. Friends dragged you somewhere you really don't want to be? Don't ruin their day by being miserable. Your most boring class with your least favorite professor is first thing in the morning? At least try to seem awake and interested. Who knows, maybe you will be by the end of the lecture. All you have to do is fake it 'til you make it.