12 Times 'Glee' Failed At Tackling Serious Issues

Looking back, "Glee" wasn't as spectacular as I thought.

8463
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4T6GaDrcjs
FOX // Youtube

I've been a devoted "Glee" fan since I was 12 years old, even through the scandals that came along with the show— two shocking celebrity deaths and a few criminal offenses. My heart will always remain with the show, but thanks to Netflix binge-watching this summer, I've realized that the show has so many flaws overlooked.

As most fanatics know, "Glee" is known for tackling a myriad of dark themes, such as suicide, homophobia, eating disorders, and racism. Even though these storylines seemed pretty relatable during the first watch, they were lackluster and glamorized.

Then again, "Glee" was a walking stereotype, and that was the intention of the series. Here are many "Glee" themes that the series failed to tackle successfully:

1. Teen pregnancy. 

Teen pregnancy was a major storyline that "Glee" focused on during its first season. In its fourth episode, Quinn Fabray, the high school's popular cheerleading captain of the Cheerios and president of Celibacy Club, revealed to her then-boyfriend, quarterback Finn Hudson, that she was pregnant with his child.

However, she was actually pregnant with Finn's best friend, Noah Puckerman. She managed to lie to Finn by tricking him into believing that she became pregnant when he prematurely ejaculated in a hot tub. As a result, her parents disown her and she is forced to move in with Finn's parents.

Once the truth is exposed, she breaks up with Finn and considers giving up her baby for adoption, despite Puck's willingness to become a father.

Although Quinn's baby is adopted, this pregnancy storyline isn't mentioned in the next season. It is revisited in season three, where Quinn wishes to gain full custody of her biological daughter, but this point isn't mentioned in the final seasons, where Quinn goes to Yale and has an affair with a professor.

The topic of teen pregnancy in the show glamorizes it instead of giving awareness to the matter, which is why this storyline never worked out, nor did it develop Quinn's selfish character.

2. Learning disabilities.

"Glee" has always introduced characters of all types, even those with learning disabilities. When Sam Evans made his appearance in Season 2, we thought that a fair storyline about this issue would be delivered perfectly. Sam is dyslexic, but instead of "Glee" focusing on his disability, they used him for sex appeal, romantic relationships, and quirky dialogue in the process.

Granted, in Season 4, they introduced Ryder Lynn, another dyslexic character and focused on an episode with his learning challenges. However, considering how long we've been familiar with Sam, he deserved more development.

3. Domestic violence. 

In the Season 3 episode "Choke", football coach Shannon Beiste comes to work with a black eye. After hearing members of the Glee Club joke about her eye with domestic violence remarks, Coach Sue Sylvester and Coach Roz Washington try to teach them a lesson about domestic abuse, while convincing Beiste to leave her relationship.

The Glee Club members seem to learn their lesson, but the episode hints that she gave her abusive boyfriend another chance.

This episode was very good, but the result of this storyline is disappointing because it encourages audiences to stay in domestic relationships.

4. Transgender people.

'Glee' introduced its first transgender character Wade "Unique" Adams, who was best described as the "love child" between fashionable Kurt Hummel and powerhouse diva Mercedes Jones. However, the show's ignorance of the transgender storyline was 100% obvious.

In Season 4, Unique was the butt of jokes, especially after she wanted to play Rizzo, a female character in the high school's production of 'Grease', but since Sue Sylvester—the then-principal—was against her playing the role, Unique was pulled from the role.

In Season 5, Unique's final transgender storyline involves her using the girls' restroom because she doesn't feel comfortable using the boys' bathroom. But, when she enters the boys' bathroom, three jocks bully her. To prevent this, Sue gives a port-a-potty to her with question marks, making it Unique's "special toilet." But, she is, instead, given the keys to the teachers' bathroom.

Despite this somewhat heartwarming conclusion, this is the last storyline that focuses on Unique's struggles as a transgender student, and the way that the show portrays her is lackluster. If more was done to focus on transgenders, the show would be more successful.

5. Sexual assault.

If you don't believe that sexual assault can happen to both men and women, it indeed can. 'Glee' indeed portrayed this stereotype in the worst way, even making the likable characters on the show, less likable for their derogatory comments.

In Season 4, Ryder Lynn revealed to the Glee Club that he was molested by his babysitter when he was 11 years old. Instead of giving sympathy, two boys from the glee club suggested that he should have enjoyed being molested by his babysitter, even implying that men shouldn't be vulnerable to sexual assault.

6. Online dating/catfishing

In Season 4, 'Glee' focused on an online relationship; Ryder Lynn began dating a girl online, until he realized that the girl he was dating wasn't real. In fact, she was someone in the Glee Club. In the season finale, it is revealed that the girl is Unique Adams, who revealed that she had feelings for Ryder.

Ryder tells Unique not to talk to him ever again, but in the future episodes, the storyline is forgotten about, and Ryder and Unique seem to be on good terms with each other, even going to prom together.

The online dating and catfishing problem should've been focused on like most episodes of 'Catfish'. It seems too soon for someone like Ryder to be that forgiving that fast.

7. Bisexuality.

Bisexuality has always been an underestimated label on 'Glee'. In fact, a remark from gay character Kurt Hummel himself can be considered quite offensive to bisexual viewers and fans of the show.

In Season 2, the episode "Blame It On The Alcohol" focused on (obviously) teen drinking, but its subplots revolved around Kurt Hummel's romantic feelings for Blaine Anderson, who is openly gay. However, he questions himself when he kisses Rachel Berry during a party game of Spin the Bottle.

Against this, Kurt confronts Blaine for suddenly developing feelings for Rachel. When Blaine reveals his lack of confidence in his sexuality after kissing Rachel, Kurt comments:

"Bisexual is a term that gay guys use in high school when they want to hold hands with girls and feel like a normal person for a change."

Kurt's comment alone proves that 'Glee' didn't tackle all sexualities respectively. The show strictly promoted the LGBTQA communities, but barely represented bisexuality in the best way possible.

8. Eating disorders (bulimia, obesity, etc.)

'Glee' was well-known for storylines revolving around eating disorders, including obesity. However, the stereotypes and lack of continuity remained, but where was the awareness?

in Season 1, Mercedes Jones joined the cheerleading squad, simply for vocal performances. However, Coach Sue Sylvester forced Mercedes to lose ten pounds before a magazine photoshoot, or she'd be removed from the team. Struggling to lose weight, she goes on an extreme diet and ends up hallucinating and fainting in the cafeteria.

After a conversation with Quinn, who used to be overweight before, Mercedes decides to perform "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera during a cheerleading pep rally, accepting herself and her body.

Meanwhile, in Season 4, 'Glee' takes eating disorders to a wrong level. Wrong. Newcomer Marley Rose gets the role as Sandy in 'Grease', but evil, witty cheerleading captain Kitty Wilde altered her costumes, making it smaller, tricking Marley into believing that she was gaining weight.

She also attempted to teach Marley how to lose weight and become bulimic. Marley's mentor and high school alum Santana Lopez, found pills in Marley's purse and became aware that Kitty was responsible for her eating disorder. Ultimately, Marley faints during a Glee Club performance, forcing their choir to be disqualified from the competition.

The sad thing is, it took a school shooting and lockdown for Kitty to apologize for what she did to Marley.

'Glee' glorified eating disorders instead of depicting how to prevent it.

9. Safe sex and STDs.

The second half of Season 5 steered in a mature direction for 'Glee', as the glee club disbanded, and the show focused on the high school alums in New York. Fans were adamant about the final episodes of Season 5, but one of the worst storylines occurred in "Tested."

Artie Abrams, the adorable guy in a wheelchair, tests positive for Chlamydia after having multiple sexual encounters with girls at his film school. He, then, has to reveal his STD to three girls he hooked up with, one who boldly and carelessly reacted, "It was probably me" and says she'd go to the free clinic.

Despite an unusual episode intro teaching the audience about the various STDs, the episode doesn't do any justice expressing how to prevent it. Also, it doesn't promote safe sex at all.

10. Interracial couples.

'Glee' lost its potential with interracial relationships with a rocky relationship between Sam Evans and Mercedes Jones. If you read my previous article about how the show ruined the relationship, you'd know that despite this couple's potential, interracial relationships were a rare thing that 'Glee' focused on.

In Season 5, Sam and Mercedes rekindled their relationship in New York. Mercedes was uncertain of a relationship with Sam because he's whitelong after she has a conversation with her black friends. But, eventually, she overlooks this and admits she sees no color in a relationship.

This storyline could have been focused on more, as interracial relationships are still considered taboo for most people.

11. Estranged family members.

Any long storyline in Season 1 revolved around Rachel Berry and her biological mother. When she was a child, she was adopted by a gay couple. In the episode "Dream On," it is revealed that Rachel's mother is the coach of a rival glee club, one that her then-boyfriend is in.

In the Lady Gaga tribute episode, Rachel finally meets her mother, but the chemistry between the two is lackluster. Although they agree to be 'friends'. Rachel's mother Shelby learns her lesson by adopting Quinn's baby during the Season 1 finale. However, her relationship with Rachel still remains estranged throughout the series.

12. School shootings.

One of the most intense episodes of 'Glee' in Season 4, "Shooting Star" shocked fans and casual viewers alike with a school shooting storyline. In a 20-minute scene, members of Glee Club are taken aback by gunshots and they are forced to go on lockdown and hide.

In the end, Sue Sylvester covers up for her pal and confidante Becky Jackson, a student with down-syndrome responsible for the gun shooting. Sue is fired from her job. Turns out that Becky brought the gun to school out of fear for her safety, and when she gives the gun to Sue, the gun accidentally went off.

Although the bold move Sue made for Becky was good for character development, and the acting was outstanding, 'Glee' failed to focus on the topic at hand. Considering that schools like Sandy Hook Elementary have been known for school shootings.

I feel if 'Glee' wanted to tackle this storyline, it should have been depicted in a relatable way, regarding the context behind the shooting, considering it's a very sensitive topic.

From Your Site Articles