Fact Or Fiction Myths About College

Fact Or Fiction Myths About College

Hollywood did not give away all the college secerts.

96
Fact Or Fiction Myths About College
Google Images

There are many myths about college that you don’t know to be fact or fiction until you attend one. Hollywood has painted college as this crazy party filled, minimal class and overall fun experience. Some of what you see on a big screen is true while other aspect couldn’t be anymore unreal. Maybe the producers forgot to add in all the less exciting and not so enjoyable parts? Here are just 6 of many myths that I have discovered to be either fact or fiction during my college experience thus far:

1. FICTION: Attendance isn’t important.

Many have this conception that sleeping through class is okay and that the teacher doesn’t even take attendance but that is not the case. Many professors do keep track of who is in class even in larger lecture settings. Although your teacher doesn’t do roll call, they know a new face on test day when they haven’t seen it all semester. If your professor doesn’t scare you enough, trying to catch up on new information on your own time will be even scarier.

2. FACT: You actually have to study to do well.

You can’t just breeze through college and ace your exams off of what you learn in class. The professor expects you to teach yourself the other 75% of the information that they didn’t feel like putting in their power point. If you don’t put in effort outside of the classroom you will be in for a nightmare on exam day. Find a study method that works for you and get acquainted with your textbooks!

3. FICTION: Tutoring is for stupid people.

Getting help is the smartest thing you can possibly do in college. Going to office hours and meeting with a tutor doesn’t label you as stupid but as smart. Take advantage of all the resources your campus has to offer you because in the end, they will only help you not hurt you. Peer tutors totally understand the struggle and are more than happy to help you without judging you.

4. FACT: The infamous freshman 15.

I’m sorry to say that this rumored weight gain is very much so true. in the midst of classes, studying, papers, projects, reading 1,000 pages a night and being broke, packing on the pounds is nearly impossible. The gym and yoga classes are no match for the dining hall’s meal options and the midnight easy mac.

5. FICTION: Your roommate will be your best friend.

So, so sorry to burst your bubble and ruin this dream of yours but the girl across the room from you on move in day may not be your new BFF. There is a high possibility she will be your archenemy within a weeks or days even. It’s okay if this new stranger isn’t your cup of tea because of her insane sleep style and terrible taste in music. Don’t worry, there is a chance you will get along, but don’t be disappointed if you’re not spilling secrets to each other at 3am like you do with your friends back home.

6. FACT: You will get home sick.

As much as you couldn’t wait to hit the ground running on your college experience, you will miss what you left behind. Freedom does taste sweet, but nothing beats the feeling of walking into the comfort of your own home. You’ll miss your friends, your parents, your siblings, your dog or cat, your hometown pizzeria and of course your own bed. You will learn that college is your new second home and it too will have a special place in your heart but it will never replace your home.