Eyes On The Artist: Woven In Hiatus

Eyes On The Artist: Woven In Hiatus

Download Their EP, "Roam!"

119
Eyes On The Artist: Woven In Hiatus
Woven In Hiatus

Since high school, Luke Nagel of the acoustic/rock project, Woven In Hiatus, has spread himself over many different music projects ranging across all types of genres. Before Woven In Hiatus was conceived, Luke was a founding member of For The Year, which gained a lot of popularity in the New England area after performing all over the region and releasing and EP. Years later, Luke would find himself embarking on a solo project "Woven In Hiatus" that eventually turned into the band that is Woven In Hiatus. They give a soft acoustic rock vibe in a minor key. Their songs sing about love, existentialism and loss. They've released few singles and an EP "Roam," available on Bandcamp. I got to talk with the Woven In Hiatus boys, and they answered a few of my questions:

Who does what in WIH?

Luke - Guitar / Vox

Richard - Acoustic Guitar

Nicolas - Bass

Nicholas - Drums

Take us through the beginning; how did WIH come to be?

Luke: Woven in Hiatus started as a result of me recording an EP for fun at Maximum Sound Studios in Danvers. It was originally going to be an all-acoustic EP, but we just started adding other elements and decided that the music worked better full-band. I showed some of the rough mixes to my buds who now make up the band—they dug it—and we eventually decided to make the project full-band rather than just having it be a solo effort.

Luke, you've been involved in countless music projects spreading many different genres. What made you want to start an acoustic/rock project?

Luke: To be honest, nothing I ever did in music really ever felt like it was truly me. The main goal of this project was and still is to make genuine music that comes from a place of authenticity, and acoustic based music feels the most authentic and soulful to me personally.

You guys released some singles and covers as well as your EP, "Roam". What were some of the themes behind this EP?

Luke: Every song on the EP has a different message and theme. The opening track "Revelations" is actually a song about how careless all of us as humans are with our planet, in terms of pollution, over population and many other factors that will eventually lead to a breaking point in our future. "Dirty Rose," a song that has my most personal lyrics on the album, is about a time in my life where I had to let go of a lot of people who were really close to me.

What's the best part about being in WIH?

Luke: The best part of being in WIH for me is that the band gets along so well. We are all like brothers and we have so much fun with whatever we do, whether it's just hanging around, playing shows or writing music. Also, I have a soft spot for fan art; we've gotten a couple of really interesting and well-made pieces of art inspired by our songs and lyrics. That really blows me away.

What are some of the challenges of being in a band?

Luke: The biggest challenge of being in a band is money. There are so many costs that go into maintaining a band and trying to get ourselves out there. Luckily, we are able to save money as much as possible by doing a lot of things that most bands outsource, ourselves, like making videos, promo pictures and graphic design.

What bands or artists influence your music and attitude the most?

Johnny Cash, City & Colour, Simon & Garfunkel, Hozier, Real Friends, Transit, Wind In Sails, This Wild Life, Have Mercy, Citizen and The Wiggles.

Favorite beer?

Luke: Golden Monkey

Nicholas: Corona

Richard: Budweiser

You gotta get lunch around the North Shore, Massachusetts area, where are you guys going to eat?

Luke: Any local pizza house. None of that corporate chain bullshit like Dominos or Pizza Hut. My personal favorite is Rocco's in Danvers.

What's the craziest shit you've seen happen at a show you guys were playing at?

Not really too much crazy shit happens at our shows; we do like starting "F*ck Donald Trump" chants, though.

If you had the chance to open up for a line-up of three bands, who would be on the bill?

Luke: Hozier, City & Colour and This Wild Life would be my perfect line-up.

The New England music scene is rising fast, and bands are becoming tighter and tighter as the days go on. Would you guys agree? What do you think helps the music scene flourish?

Luke: I think what helps the local music scene flourish is when bands branch out and create unique music. Nobody wants to go to a show to see a band they've already heard done before; they want something new and interesting. I think that recently a lot of New England bands have really done some new and unique things with their music that has made people more interested in going to local shows again.

Any plans for the future? Any big shows coming up?

Luke: We have a lot of plans for this year, including a full length LP we're recording in May and lots of touring!

Any Shout-outs?

Luke: Everyone in Red Light Overtime and Acadia. They are the best dudes ever.

Woven In Hiatus has big plans for the summer, keep an eye out for them! Go like their Facebook page.