To Those Struggling With Your External Appearance, You're Not Alone

God shows us that we are all beautiful in our own ways.

106
Pexels.com

To some, this is not a problem, but to many, it's all they ever think of. The struggle to feel beautiful or handsome (yes, boys are self-conscious too!) has become a problem in our society. We want to look like what we see on television or in magazines. We have a bad habit of comparing ourselves with others, not realizing that we are only hurting ourselves by doing so. So what if you're chunky? There's more to love! What if you're “too” skinny? You'll never run out of XS or S clothes ever again!! Face too thin? Rock those cheekbones, honey! Tall, short, dark, light?? Whatever you struggle to love, don't let anyone tell you that you are not perfect, because you may not be perfect in everyone's eyes, but to God, you are as perfect as He has made you. Perfect as in perfectly flawed, perfectly beautiful, perfectly handsome, just perfect in your own way!

This is easier said than done, isn't it? I also struggle to love myself at times. I can be very self-conscious about myself some days, while other days I feel like the prettiest girl in the world. Nevertheless, God hasn't stopped loving me. The way God sees me hasn't changed, even if it has changed for me. When I struggle to “look my best,” God shows me that there's no such thing. He loves me as I am today, tomorrow and all the days to come. He knows what our internal struggles are, just like our external; but regardless of what anybody else thinks, the only one whose answer truly matters is God’s. He created us in His perfect image, so the hate or negative thoughts we have about ourselves are what the world wants us to think. Sure, there are days when we’re not feeling ourselves and feeling “ugly” only comes natural, but we should never take our eyes off the real picture.

You are beautiful. You are handsome. You are special. You are loved. One negative comment on how society perceives you can make you think that you're not enough. We shouldn’t try to find approval from someone else's words, especially from a society where everyone has to look a certain way in order to meet the standards of “pretty” or “good-looking.” Ask yourself what it means to be gorgeous, attractive, or maybe even elegant. Then look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you are all of these things and more. This is how God sees you regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. If you struggle to love yourself, one thing you should always keep in mind is that beauty doesn't come from external appearance, but from your internal appearance.

You've got a beautiful mind, and that knowledge that you keep inside your brain is priceless. Your empathy and sympathy towards others is what makes you, you! Your characteristics are what make you unique and your external looks are what set you apart from the rest of the world. I think a world with diversity is way better than a world where everyone looks the same. Every skin color, every height, weight, size, and shape is what makes us all perfect. Our diversity is what brings life in this world and in society. Let's encourage one another to be ourselves more and love ourselves in our own skin. God loves us no matter what, and He will be the one to show us that we are all enough.