How To Explain The iPhone To Someone From The 16th Century

It's not magic.

134
https://support.apple.com

In the 21st century, many people carry with them a small tablet; a device used for many things which may be considered magic by yourself. The tablet of which I speak is known by our people as an "iPhone."

iPhones are manufactured in extraordinary quantities by a large mercantile business called "Apple," which is one of the most successful manufacturers of technology in our future world. The tablets are the product of many years of scientific, mathematical and technological advancement. Before I proceed in my explanation, I want to emphasize that the iPhone is NOT magic or sorcery. It is a piece of technology ultimately allowable by the amalgamation of human understanding, natural philosophy and the laws of nature.

The iPhone is made up of many materials, most notably glass, steel, refined metals, and a synthetic, malleable material known by our people as "plastic." The combination of the metals inside the device produces electricity, which is what lightning is made of. Mankind discovered electricity in lightning in the 18th century. Since then, we have been able to manipulate the power of lightning in a great many ways for the benefit of humanity.

The electricity can be thought of as the power source of the iPhone, and the constituent parts give it its form. By combining the many elements that manifest in the device—which is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand—we are able to do a great many things unimaginable by the people of your age.

The device allows us to communicate, either by voice or in written messages, with someone on the other side of the world in a matter of seconds. What is even more confounding is that we can choose to communicate with them, face-to-face, even if the correspondent lives in a distant land. The iPhone produces images, reflected on the glass on the surface of the tablet. We can see practically any image we want--a person living in a distant country, a painting we have never witnessed in real life, the landscape of a place we have never been, and infinitely more.

This device allows us to attain any information we desire in a single instant. Think of all the information contained in all the libraries in the world and being able to extract any of it at a moment's notice, all by navigating the resources within the tablet.

The iPhone can store and play music. It can capture images of people and objects in real life, as well as motion pictures which our people call "video." It can shine a light brighter than any torch and provide endless hours of entertainment. All a person has to do is view the images on the surface of the tablet, which can be controlled and manipulated with a touch of a finger.

It is not magic, my friend. It is the product of hundreds of years of human understanding and technological advancement. The iPhone was not invented overnight. Thousands of ideas and simple inventions influenced the development of this eclectic tool. Once it was discovered how the various, constituent elements of the iPhone worked together, humans everywhere—at their fingertips—gained vast power and resources capable of influencing the world.