My Experience At A Roger Waters Concert

My Experience At A Roger Waters Concert

As a longtime fan of Pink Floyd, I greatly enjoyed this particular concert.

140
My Experience At A Roger Waters Concert
Desi Mendoza

If you have ever talked to me about music, you would learn very quickly that I enjoy a variety of classic rock. From Genesis to Rush, there are a lot of bands that I adore. My favorite out of all of these bands though, is Pink Floyd. Not only do I enjoy the guitar and keyboard driven melodies they have produced but also the insightful and meaningful lyrics throughout all of their albums. One of my long lasting dreams has been to see at least one of the surviving members live in concert. Recently, I fulfilled this desire, by going to see Roger Waters live at TD Square Garden in Boston. If you did not already know, Roger Waters was the bass player for Pink Floyd from the band’s founding in 1965 to his eventual departure in 1985. I have always wondered what a concert like this would entail, and my eyes and ears surely were not disappointed. Overall, my experience at this Roger Waters concert was a great one, and I would like to share my thoughts about it with you.

One of the greatest things about this concert was the overall grand feeling of the entire night. Not only were large colorful lasers utilized during guitar solos, but various large inflatable objects were utilized as well. For example, during a particular number that involved pigs, a giant pink pig circulated around all corners of the audience. The show also featured changes to the stage where the band was playing, such as a dividing building rising from the ground. These moments created a greater connection between the music and the audience, and kept me excited to see what tricks Waters had in store next.

Not only were the set pieces for the show grand, but the setlist was as well. Roger Waters and his stage band played a wide variety of classics from his time with Pink Floyd, featuring songs from “The Dark Side of the Moon” up to “The Wall." It was great to hear these radio staples live for once, and they added a new interest to hearing what changes were made from the original studio recordings. For instance, the song “Another Brick in the Wall Part 2” had an extended guitar solo as well as a direct musical bridge into part 3, which rarely had been done before. However, Waters did not stop at common fan favorites, but even played some selections from his recent solo album, “Is This The Life We Really Want?" Although it was clear which songs did not involve the original Pink Floyd lineup, they still blended nicely in terms of style with the classic hits.

With the combined effects of both physical and musical variety, the Roger Waters live show was not one to be missed. I highly recommend long time fans of Pink Floyd to look for future tours for Waters, so they don’t miss this fantastic adventure of a musical performance. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this concert and hope that new and old fans alike continue to appreciate the musical stylings of Roger Waters and Pink Floyd.