10 Things You Experience After Being In College For More Than Four Years

Because four years just won't cut it for your degree.

70

Getting a bachelor's degree within four years is starting to become an oddity. Transfer credits don't, well, transfer the way you want them to, or maybe you decide to change the direction of your degree. Maybe there are semesters that just don't really work out for you. I have heard it said among our generation that six years is becoming the new average instead of four.

However, as someone who is in their sixth year of college, I don't know if I am comfortable with that. I have experienced all sorts of different situations that make me feel that for the next generation this may be true, but for mine, it's still something that is frowned upon slightly. So I decided to make a list of the top ten things that I have experienced, on campus and off, for the past two years.

1. Family members ask what you're up to at parties.

Then you glance over towards your parents in embarrassment as you glance around to see how many people are listening. Not so much that people don't hear you, but in fact, to make sure as many people hear you the first time and you don't end up a broken record stating that, "Oh, well I'm still in school, so aside from that..."

2. Class Introductions get awkward.

The first day of a new semester comes around and as all the freshman and sophomores are taking the same classes you are, you feel like you should be a TA and not a student. Then it comes to your turn and suddenly you're the only one is old enough to legally drink, or in some cases, rent a car.

3. You feel like the parent at the dorms.

If you didn't feel old in class, you definitely will in the dorms. If anyone is like me and doesn't have a car to allow for commuting, then you are still living on campus. Or maybe it's just a better option for you, I'm not going to judge. However, this then leaves you staying up in the living room waiting for your wards, I mean suite mates, to come home safe and sound since all your other friends are too busy being adults in the real world to go out.

4. Being asked if you're leaving with a doctorate degree and just...

No, no you are not, you just had to go to an out of state school and then a local one, which made you retake a bunch of unnecessary gen eds, and you're already feeling bad enough as it is, so why do we have to rub salt on the wound? Okay, maybe a bit too specific and personal an example, but just insert whatever your situation is in the response, and you'll know what I mean.

5. You still don't get the whole adulting thing.

Or you just feel like the entire cast of New Girl where sure they do adult things, but are they really grown up? It's debatable. You go drinking, and you pay some form of bills and do things independently of your parents, but we both know that we still rely on our parents for a lot of things. Like rides or helping us doing the scare adult things in life like scheduling appointments, or giving you rides to places.

6. Financial stability and studies don't always mix well.

Class, work, class, club activities, social time with your family or significant other. It can all be a lot to put on your plate, and when the balancing act becomes difficult, things get cut from your life. This makes you the bad guy, or have to make the adult decision to cut things out of your life that might make everyone halfway happy. Personal example, working at school, taking classes, being on the e-board for a school club, and being a girl scout leader, didn't pan out, and now I can somewhat manage my life again.

7. You watch younger friends/ family reach critical life milestones before you.

You're still in college and: Your sister graduates high school the years you were supposed to as well? Your little brother joins the military and has a full-time job with benefits and financial stability? Your teen cousin started her own college career while you are still working on yours. Maybe your sister is engaged before you, and you haven't even joined the real world yet? Sometimes things are going to be delayed for you, but not for other people.

8. Your lessons start to repeat...sort of.

After taking a certain number of classes on a given subject you feel as though you could write a novel on the does and don'ts of a particular discussion. Example: I could probably provide several interpretations of "The Yellow Wallpaper" and help you find examples in your argument against mine. I also can never look at anything written by Robert Frost the same way again, and also know how to use critical theory to explain anything from philosophy dissertations to "Good Night Moon."

9. You have a legitimate fear you'll be in school forever.

Similar to point eight, you don't know how to live a normal life. Everyone around you is doing it, but you have to do homework and make sure you're on campus by a certain time to make sure that you aren't late for whatever class/activity/dorm event you have going on. You feel like you're going to wear a backpack for the rest of your life, and spend all your time writing papers, or eating dorm food, and living in a tiny postage stamp of a room. You've forgotten how to cook anything outside of a microwave, or ordering take-out, or facing the dreaded cafeteria. Even when you go home you feel out of place.

10. When the light appears at the end of the tunnel, you panic.

This is both good and bad. Yey, no more school! Oh crap, what do I do now? You are tossed into the real world with a list of things that you can do with the piece of paper you must be earned, but how do you get into the career you want? How to do you get the experience that a lot of jobs want you to have before applying when everywhere else is doing the same thing? The best thing you can do is to take deep breaths, plan out your final year/ semester, and hope that you can prepare yourself to join the adult world as seamlessly as possible.

While there are challenges to this extended stay at school, it can also be good. You become a pillar of the school community, and someone what is sought after for guidance. People trust your opinion on things and teachers want to see you succeed. So just keep pushing on, and come what may, you'll make it through. As with everything, the time for school shall pass and you can finally unclick the pause button that your life has felt like.