People Who Go All Out For Halloween: Why?

To All People Who Go All Out On Their Halloween Costume, You Should Spend That Money Elsewhere

It's spooky season my dudes.

54
https://unsplash.com/photos/mEA8cH_KY5g

It's the most wonderful time of the year...FALL! Personally, autumn is my favorite season; it's not too cold out, but you're not drenched in sweat after spending ten minutes outside, the leaves are changing colors, you get to carve pumpkins, drink hot apple cider, and spend your weekends cozying up with your friends around a crackling bonfire. One of my favorite parts of fall is admittedly Halloween. I mean, what other time is it socially acceptable to buy bags of candy at a time and it doesn't make you seem like a pathetic loser? Yes, I'm talking about you, Valentines Day.

However, just because I'm a fan of Halloween doesn't mean I understand why exactly there's so much excessive hype for Halloween. Yes, it's fun and all to dress up in costumes, but do you know how hard it is to pick one singular costume? I have less than a week to figure out my costume before all the Halloween parties start, and I still haven't even figured out a general idea of what I want to dress up as. Halloween is one freaking night in the year, and I've seen people spend ridiculous amounts of money and time planning what they'll wear for a few hours and then most likely get drunk and puke all over. Heck, I've seen people planning multiple costumes for the weekend because they don't want to wear the same outfit to parties on different days.

As one broke college student to another: props to you for managing to afford that, but also why would you do that when you could spend that hard-earned money on something like Cane's instead, am I right? Literally, at Halloween stores, you'll see people spend hundreds on costumes and makeup to wear for three days, maximum. I'm not opposed to Halloween and parties, and honestly, I love getting free and/or discounted candy as much as the next person, but I still don't really care ~that much~ about dressing up at the end of the day.

Also, can we please make going trick or treating a thing in college? I enjoy a good party every once in a while too, but I would so rather spend my weekend collecting free candy and having a good time with my friends than watching them drink until they almost black out and being surrounded by people who feel like they have to dress in revealing clothing to get others' approval. Also, if you live anywhere in the Midwest/Northern United States, it's definitely hovering around freezing point so why would you want to spend all night freezing?

Sincerely,

A moderate fan of Halloween