Expanding My Collection Of Playbills

Expanding My Collection Of Playbills

Perks of living in the city: Broadway!

35
Expanding My Collection Of Playbills

Most people are aware of the endless opportunities that are available in New York City. I, however, underestimated how much these opportunities would present themselves to me while living in the city that never sleeps. Having now lived here for four semesters, I can easily say that there has never been a moment where my friends and I didn't know what to do on the weekend. This past week, for example, I had the opportunity of attending three different Broadway shows, thanks to winning ticket lotteries and receiving generous student discounts.

As part of a class assignment, my English professor encouraged our class to attend "King Lear" on Broadway. Shakespeare wouldn't necessarily be my first choice of entertainment to attend on a Friday night, but after reading, analyzing, and writing multiple drafts of a paper on the play, I was slightly more intrigued to witness the production first hand. My professor was also engrossed by the fact that King Lear was being played by a woman (the remarkable Glenda Jackson), which was not surprising because the title of our class is (In)Equality. Glenda Jackson portrayed the mentally ill and depressed King exceptionally well, leaving most of the audience in awe at her convincing and heart-aching performance.

Only a few days after seeing King Lear at the aesthetically pleasing Cort Theatre, my friend Emma (shoutout Emma!!!) very generously asked me to attend "Frozen" on Broadway with her. Emma, an avid Broadway goer, enters herself religiously into the Broadway ticket lottery and just happens to have the greatest luck of all of my friends ("Frozen" was the 5th show she had seen that month). I truly felt like a child while watching the performance, as Elsa's "magic" was so realistic that I felt an awe-struck smile light up my face that was similarly visible on the little girl sitting next to me, who was dressed head to toe in Elsa apparel.

Finally, the following Friday rolled around, and I had the pleasure of seeing "The Prom" on Broadway with my roommate. A new comedic musical, "The Prom" kept the audience laughing and dancing in their seats as they unveiled a potentially controversial plot in a light-hearted manner.

As my list of attended plays and musicals expands, I feel more in touch with the theatre culture of New York City, and I have recognized how impactful live performances can be. I always leave the theatre with an elated feeling, reflecting on how dedicated and talented each actor/actress is at what can only be assumed is their dream job. I feel grateful that I get to spend my weekends applauding some of the greatest performers and sharing these experiences with people I love. #cheesy!!!!!