EXO's Sixth Album Is Out, And It Will Be Your New "Obsession"

Spoiler alert: "Ya Ya Ya" is the best track

84

EXO recently made their comeback and released their sixth album, "Obsession,"and I physically can't stop listening to it. The sound of this whole album is incredible and much different from what they have put out in the past.

At the moment, the typical nine-member group is down to six members. The three members not participating in this comeback are on hiatus due to solo work and South Korea's mandatory service in the armed force; however, the six remaining members still made this album memorable.

There are nine songs on this album, (ten if you count the Chinese version of "Obsession") and I can honestly say that I enjoy listening to every track on this album. Typically, there is usually one song on an album that I'm not the biggest fan of, but "Obsession" doesn't have that one song.

Every track takes on a diverse style, which means that there is a great amount of variety in the album. With many different genres, it's hard to get sick of listening to EXO's latest release on repeat.

"Obsession" is the name of both the album and the title track. This song is currently the only track from this album that has a music video, but the aesthetic and concept of the video make you want to watch it over and over again.

The whole concept of the music video is that each member of EXO has a counterpart, X-EXO, that they are fighting against for survival. Written out, it sounds a little confusing, but if you watch the music video I promise it will make more sense.

EXO 엑소 'Obsession' MVwww.youtube.com

In terms of sound and vocals, this song does not disappoint. The first thing you hear is a female voice saying "I want you," which continues throughout the entire song. In terms of genre, this song is a mix of pop and hip hop. When listening to the song, the moments of vocal distortion, as well as, the true vocals sung by each member stand out the most.

The most memorable parts of this song are Chanyeol's rap (1:11) and Chen's high note (2:26). For me, I remembered these parts after the song was finished and listened for them again.

Moving on to the remaining tracks of the album, I want to talk specifically about three of my favorite songs. Like I mentioned before, I love every song on this album, but I want to highlight these songs because they are my current favorites.

The third song on the album is "Jekyll," and I loved the sound of this track immediately when I first heard it. The beat in the beginning that carries through the whole song is definitely my favorite part. Although the chorus features shouting, the song gives off an R&B feel.

It's also worth mentioning that the lyrics of "Jekyll" tie back to their music video concept. In the video each member has an evil counterpart and this connects to the book, "Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," which is hinted in the track's title.

From this book, the takeaway is that one man has a two-sided personality, one is good and the other is evil. This idea is shown both in the lyrics, "Why are you pushing me away? I'm already in you/I'm in control of me, break out," and in the photo/video concept of the overall album.

https://sagisag.com/article/1277/entertainment/exo-comes-back-with-obsession-mv

Another one of my favorite songs at the moment is "Groove". All six of the member's voices are showcased beautifully in this song. From Chanyeol and Sehun's back and forth smooth rapping to Baekhyun, Suho, Kai, and Chen's effortless vocals throughout the song, this jazzy track is unforgettable.

In addition to each member's pleasant voice, there is a flute solo in this song that enhances the jazzy vibe. The airy tone of all six of their voices in this song matches the flute's delicate sound perfectly.

The last song I've been listening to nonstop is "Ya Ya Ya". Now, I know I've been talking about vocals a lot in this post, but Baekhyun's voice in this track is top tier. With the R&B sound, lyrics about asking someone if they love you, and his high notes, Baekhyun owns this song (I can't stop listening to his voice at 3:07).

EXO (엑소) - Ya Ya Ya (Color Coded Lyrics Han/Rom/Eng/가사)www.youtube.com

Now that you finished reading, you still have five more songs to listen to. EXO's "Obsession" is my latest obsession, and I hope it becomes yours too.