Check Out This Exclusive Interview With Ookay

"As an artist you don't need to re-invent yourself for nobody but yourself."

144
Rukes

I sat down with Ookay at this year's Sun City Music Festival to discuss his new song, Fall tour, remixes and visuals. To all the fans out there, you're in for a big surprise and fun time for his Fall Tour. After catching his set at SCMF, his new music and visuals will not disappoint. There won't be any time or room for you to sit down, take a water/bathroom break. Be ready for the hype and enjoy a night full of dancing and good vibes. Like a thief in the night, he's coming for your heart.

"Describe your light visuals for Lollapalooza."

Ookay: "It was exciting because I had them for awhile, not very long, but enough to watch them enough times to where I was like, 'Ugh, people need to see these!' So, yeah it was like first time they ever got to premiere a bunch of new stuff. I think we still get new stuff, it was like phase one so we got a lot of new stuff for SCMF.

Yeah, it was exciting. It was fun to look around and see all of these crazy, bright colors with the brand new music. Everything went together really well and we were excited to sit down, and I was able to help design a lot of the stuff. It was a great process and turned out really well."

"What was your inspiration behind the visuals?"

Ookay: "I think it kind of plays into my personality. I'm pretty wild, haha. I try to stay very positive and try to reflect that in my music and everything that's going on right now. I think we all kind of need it. I wanted it to be all together-- I'm just trying to set up an atmosphere, so when I made this new music for my album I really needed something, 'cause you know a lot of the stuff I was doing before was more black and white, a lot of roses and I was like, 'I want to do something completely different.

Just start again.' I just think you have to do that as an artist, like re-invent yourself. Not for anyone else but yourself. So I was able to do that with the visuals and the music, and clothes. Yeah, it was all one big thing. I was happy to put it out all together."

"Can you talk about Flux Pavilion's amazing remix of Thief?"

Ookay: "Flux Pavilion's remix just came out actually. Shout out to him, I love Flux. We actually met up awhile ago and he was telling me like, 'Yo, this is one of my favorite songs. I wish I made that song.' I was like 'Dude, you're a library. So sick. What are you talking about? Haha.' And then I told him,'If you want to jump on a remix I can send you everything' and he was like, 'Absolutely.' So, he knocked it out in like a week.

He sent it back and I was like, 'Sick!' Even Zaxx's I think is playing today [at SCMF] and he did a remix as well. That song has gotten a lot of love and to see a new take on it by Flux, for me, was an honor because I have been listening to him since I started producing. It was like a big stamp of approval. Thanks to everybody!

"Can you talk about your new song Lighthouse?"

Ookay: "Yeah, it just came out September 1st with my boy Fox Stevenson. They put it on Monstercat. It is available everywhere-- you can get it on Spotify, iTunes, wherever the heck you get music. We've been working on this one and fine-tuning it for months now. I remember when I put up the preview, it got so much love on the internet and on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, and everywhere.

People know the words already, they've been making signs saying 'Lighthouse, baby' and all of that stuff. It's been getting a really good reaction. It plays into all the new stuff we're doing like the visuals. It's a really bubbly and colorful song, and that's what we're trying to do here and set a scene. We're just happy it came out and the fans love it.

Got a lot of support already. I think Louis the Child plays it, I know Getter plays it and all my friends. It's great to get family support like that. My mom called me and was like, 'I can't get it out of my head!' I'm happy it came out and the fans are enjoying it."

"How excited are you for your Fall Tour (Live show)?"

Ookay: "It's my first tour EVER!! Well, my first headlining tour ever. I've been waiting for this moment forever. Like I said we have a ton of new visuals, a whole new show where I'm playing and singing everything live and setting up an entire world on stage. I'm excited to bring it to every city we're going to.

We're excited. This is our first big project like this and I'm excited to see what everyone thinks. Bunch of new music off of my new album; singing, song-writing, and producing everything. I'm excited! It's going to be one big show and party."

Check out Ookay's new song Lighthouse if you haven't yet! Follow his adventures on his social media.

Twitter: @Ookay

Instagram: ookayx

Facebook: @ookaymusic