Back to school

Call Me A Nerd, But I Always Look Forward To The Beginning Of The School Year

I get excited when I start to see the 'back to school' commercials.

59
https://www.pexels.com/photo/back-to-school-conceptual-creativity-cube-207658/
Morgan Murray

The summer is a great, much-needed break. I get so stressed out during the school year. Between clubs, organizations, homework, finals, and friends there is a lot to think about. The summer is my mental break to prepare myself for the fall again. I definitely need it. Yet, when the 'back to school commercials' come on and I start to see pencils and notebooks advertised when in line at Target, I don't cringe. In fact, I get excited.

The new school year has always meant new possibilities. A new dorm, new friendships, new classes.

I remember loving it even before I hit college. I couldn't wait to see who I had a class with, which teacher I got, and if I got the ideal time for lunch. Lunchtime back in middle school was either at 10 a.m., 12 p.m., or 1 p.m. Everybody wanted the 12 p.m. time slot.

I even remember when my class list came out in my local paper. I would read it with my fingers crossed, praying my friends were in a class with me.

I think my biggest reason for loving the beginning of the school year is because deep down I love learning. During the summer I try to learn things on my own. Learning how to water ski and do a backflip has been so much fun. But the summer, while a wonderful relaxing time, doesn't challenge me like school does.

Let's face it sometimes summers can be boring. I am either working full time and making barely any money (in which my paycheck is only covering rent and food). Or I am being a lazy bump on the log and not working at all.

There is nothing relaxing about school. School is hard. I am probably going to cry when finals come around. Have a mental break down when I can't seem to get above a 75 in statistics.

Summer is just like taking a nap is a hammock. It is necessary and rejuvenating, but we were never meant to live our lives there. We were meant to be pushed and challenged in order to grow.

After my three months of summer are over, I am ready to get out of my hammock and go do something of significance.

School has given me the opportunity to grow as a person, and become the best most knowledgeable version of myself. I look forward to seeing how it shapes me this upcoming semester.

If you are nervous about this next semester, don't worry- the first week is always syllabus week (meaning all the professors do is go over the syllabus). That is plenty of time to get settled into a new school year.

Good luck everyone.