A Letter To My Ex-Best Friend: Second Edition

Betcha didn't think you'd ever see that title, huh?

72

Well, here we are, once again. Another toxic friendship ended, another long-lost soulmate-of-a-friendship gone, and all of those amazing memories are… well, just memories now.

Just to be clear, as I was in my first ex-best friend letter, this wasn't all my fault. I tried to be there for you in your time(s) of need, when you needed someone to vent to, I always wanted to hang out with you because I loved you and we got along so well.

Photo by Bewakoof.com Official

It seemed like our friendship was one-of-a-kind and unbreakable. We seemed to click and were the exact same types of people. But it's become very apparent that we have different definitions of friendship (credits to my true best friend for giving me that advice). While I might have pushed a bit too far to try to be helpful, be a best friend, and be there for you when you were really upset and heartbroken, you ruined us. Deciding to block me out of your life in order to leave you alone wasn't the right answer, but it's the choice that you made and also the one that you still stand by.

Photo by _Mxsh_ on Unsplash

Let me make this clear: we are adults. We're not in middle school anymore and blocking someone because you think that they'll use every medium to get to you is immature. It's sad that you think that lowly of me. If you were truly my best friend, you'd know that I'm not that type of person.

It's clear you want to cut all ties, despite my efforts to reach out and make amends, preparing to admit where I screwed up in hopes that you'd do the same and understand. The fact that you said you wouldn't block my number and still did also speaks volumes because if you really didn't want to talk to me, you could have just said so, and I'd have gotten your memo.

Photo by Jae Park

Instead, we're playing this little game, a guessing game if you will. A guessing game of whether I'll ever hear back from you, whether I think our friendship is even worth saving if I do, and the fact that I need to consider how many chances that I gave you when you didn't deserve them. The amount of times mistakes were made that you promised me you wouldn't make again but still did; eventually, all of that adds up on my end. So, after all, I might have a reason to be ignoring you too.

Photo by Denys Nevozhai

If this is really how you want things, then have your way, but this way of dealing with situations isn't healthy. I'll let you figure that one out for yourself. Because of this, I'll say a prayer for you in hopes that you come to your senses and don't deal with stuff like this with any other friends you gain in your future.

With LOTS of love,

Shari