10 Examples Of The Mandela Effect That Will Ruin Your Life

Collective false memory has led to a conspiracy bigger than I can wrap my brain around... so here's a rant about it.

65931
Thinking Witnesses

(This article is about a conspiracy theory, and it is 100% okay to think it is the dumbest thing you've ever heard, but just give it a try.)

Last summer, I spent an unhealthy amount of time investigating this thing I found on the internet called the 'Mandela Effect'. I know some of you may know what it is, so for those of you who do, go ahead and skip this little explanation intro for our new friends.

So, what is the Mandela Effect? Hold on to your hats. Essentially, this is a theory (A THEORY - DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY OR IT'LL RUIN YOUR LIFE) that explains how a massive amount of people remember something happening that didn't actually happen. The explanation of this theory is that in one universe something happens which then sends the world into another universe, a parallel universe if you will. In that parallel universe, some people remember details from the previous universe so vividly, but they have no evidence proving their memories true.

Let's dive in to these examples, which will be accompanied by where I first heard about them so you can do a little research of your own:

1. Nelson Mandela

Everyone knows this legendary smile. An iconic man who helped raise awareness and end apartheid and was a HUGE human rights activist in South Africa, eventually the president. All things you probably know. You probably also know that he spent his fair share of time in prison. You may also know that Nelson Mandela died in prison in 1983. You may not. A large amount of people have vivid memories of watching his funeral on the news, mourning his death in their own households, watching parades, memorials, everything else that goes along with the death of such a great man. Included in these people is my mother, who told me the tale of this when I first learned of Mandela as a young girl. When I heard that he actually died in 2013, I was beyond confused. I remember asking my history teacher, "Didn't he already die?" Why do so many people remember him dying? Hundreds of thousands of people remember this. That's the question I'm going to leave you to ponder while I present you with more and more examples.

2. The Berenstein Bears

This legendary bear family that everyone loved as a kid is actually called the Berenstain Bears. While this could just be a mispronunciation taken through generations, it could just be an alternate reality that really had that 'e' where the 'a' is now. Do you remember 'Berenstein' or 'Berenstain?'

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDM2bMrid8Q

Let me take a quick break here and say two things. One: it is the vivid memory of these things that makes people question what's real and whats not. If it were just a pronunciation error or a few people with a bad memory, this conspiracy theory wouldn't quite be as big as it is. Two: This theory is completely unoriginal because I learned everything I know from other people, so it is entirely up to interpretation.

3. Oscar Meyer

The famous wienermobile can be seen rolling along in any major city, but something you may not have known about the famous hot dog company is that their name is actually spelled "Mayer."

Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/crazy-examples-of-the-mandela-effect-that-will-make-you-ques?utm_term=.weNlglp7A6#.hog0102nmx

4. We are the champions... of the--wait.

Many people think the Queen song 'We Are the Champions' ends with the phrase, "We are the champions..... of the world." However, it may shock you to know that there is no 'of the world' at the end.

Watch this video to see some of your favorite celebrities make the same mistake (skip to 2:13):

Right??

5. Sex IN the City

The HBO show 'Sex and the City' was created in 1998 and ran until 2004 with a spinoff, 'The Carrie Diaries.' Now, why is it that a lot of people remember it actually being called 'Sex IN the City?

I know this one could just be a small error because 'and' and 'in' sound a LOT alike, but even so, people shouldn't vividly remember seeing 'in' on the covers of DVD sets and on posters, magazines, whatever.

Source: My friend Sarah

6. Chic fil A

You may have a pretty vivid memory of your favorite chicken fast food restaurant having a weird spelling to their name: C-H-I-C-F-I-L-A. Nope! You can't even find something reminiscent of that! Here's a picture of my google search when I went to find if I could actually figure out how it was spelled.

Source: http://www.kiwireport.com/31-mandela-effect-exampl...

7. Chartreuse

What color do you think Chartreuse is? It's like a deep pink/purple/red color right? A little deeper than this?

Not even close! Chartreuse falls a little further on the puke-green spectrum.

8. Mirror, Mirror on the wall

Ah yes, a famous line delivered during 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.' You could probably finish it on command if asked. But what if I told you that the line is actually, "Magic mirror on the wall?" Good luck trying to find evidence of it being different.

9. Hello, Clarice

Whether or not you've seen 'Silence of the Lambs,' you probably know the most famous line in which Hannibal Lecter says, "Hello, Clarice." IT NEVER HAPPENED. BUT YOU REMEMBER DON'T YOU?

Source:http://www.kiwireport.com/31-mandela-effect-exampl...

10. There were only four people... right?

As an avid Kennedy lover, I felt especially violated by this one. If you remember the day JFK was assassinated, if you've seen any reenactment, if you ever seen anything resembling this horrendous incident, you know that there were four people in the car. Four. Two in the front, Jackie and Jack in the back, trailed by a lot of security. What if I told you there were six people in the car?

Just take a second and count that. Six. There were six people in that car.

After seeing these examples and maybe reading further, it's really up to you to decide. Is this phenomenon of mass false memory because of a parallel universe or just coincidence? And that, boys and girls, is the Mandela Effect.

I don't know if you feel at all like your life is a lie, but if you do and want to learn more please check out the following videos, websites, etc.

31 Mandela Effect Examples

What's Behind The Mandela Effect?