Everything You Shouldn't Bring To College

Learn from my mistakes!

168
Fashion Journal

When I first came to college, I thought I would eventually find a use for every single thing I packed. Now that I am here, I realized I was definitely wrong. The tiny closets and drawers in my dorm room are practically stuffed with clothes and shoes that I never wear. My desk is full of fancy pens that I never use and candles that I'm not even allowed to light. I thought that I would need about four bottles of shampoo, five bottles of contact solution, and six bottles of heat protectant spray. Did I not realize that I was going to Pennsylvania, not a foreign country that doesn't have stores? Here is a list of things that you just really don't need at college, please learn from my mistakes!

1. Uncomfortable, impractical heels.

You will NOT wear them unless it is for a formal event for a sorority or frat. But even then, you really only need about three pairs, and make sure they are comfortable! Nothing is worse than having to spend the night in shoes you can barely walk in. If you think you may need more heels to wear out to parties, trust me, you will probably never wear them. Instead, you will probably end up alternating between two pairs of identical black booties and choose to wear the the ones that have less frat juice on them.

2. Fancy blouses.

When I packed for school, I included about six nice blouses that I would probably wear out to dinner when I was home. I figured I may need them for parties or to go to out to eat. I was very wrong for two reasons: 1) If I wore any of these shirts out to party, I would sweat right through them (don't judge, frats feel like a sauna by the end of the night.) 2) I am way too poor to even consider going out to a nice restaurant. These blouses are now sitting in the corner of my closet, untouched and dusty.

3. An excessive amount of jeans.

Personally, I think that jeans are one of the worst inventions ever made to mankind. They are restricting, rough and all in all just so uncomfortable. But me being my extra self decided to bring about twelve pairs of jeans to school. Why? I honestly do not know. Out of these twelve pairs of jeans, I only wear my two black pairs and my two ripped up light pairs, and usually only for a few hours when I go to parties. During the day, I stick to leggings and you probably will too, because who doesn't love leggings?

4. An excessive amount of workout clothes.

Okay, I get it, some people do like to work out and will actually wear all of the workout clothes they own to the gym. I hate the gym, so I'm never there, but I still have tons of workout clothes! I refuse to bring them home because sometimes I see them in my closet and it motivates me to go to the gym, but most of the time I just put them on for class to make it look like I workout.

5. More than two winter jackets.

Because winter jackets are so big, they take up about half the closet space you are given, and one of the most precious things in college is space. I have one long jacket, and one short one, because a girl needs options. On cold winter days, you will probably just end up reaching for the warmest jacket you have anyway, so more than two options is unnecessary.

6. Shorts!

It is only short weather for about a month at school, so you really don't need to pack all of your summer shorts because you most likely won't end up wearing them.

Here are some things you should stock up on at school: sweatshirts, sweatpants, leggings, Ugg boots, Ramen, quarters (if you have to pay for your laundry), frackets (if you know, you know), extra sheets, trash bags, and some more leggings because you can never have too many leggings!