Everything Is Not What It Seems

Everything Is Not What It Seems

You don't always get what you want.

913
Everything Is Not What It Seems
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/12/6365917302015092691719667217_Brooklyn.jpg

Emory University has some of the most beautiful dorms in the country. First-year halls like Raoul and Longstreet-Means Hall have large double rooms, magnificent suites, and great storage space. Some of our dorms like Few Evans even have perfect views of Atlanta’s downtown skyscrapers. While our beloved school offers many amazing options, not all of us are so lucky. By all of us, I mean myself, and the other 199 inhabitants of the oldest dorm on campus: Dobbs Hall. From the outside it’s quite beautiful, a wonderful garden, and classic architecture; something we could mildly be proud of. Unfortunately, when you walk into this historic hall, the glamour dies down.

This hall has been around for over one hundred years, and unfortunately, it shows. I remember when I first received my room assignment I found out that I was assigned Dobbs. This sentencing didn’t seem that bad, as I figured that all of Emory’s halls would be of the same caliber as Longstreet-Means, where I had spent my overnight visit at. Sadly, I was in for a rude awakening. Upon walking into my room on the very first day of move in, I was quite perplexed. Where was space? This single room was smaller than what I had in my apartment back home, plus I’d have to split this small space with a roommate. It’s safe to say I was disappointed. During the rough transition period into this less-than-stellar space, I had to learn a few hard lessons to cope with the dire disappointment of Dobbs Hall.

1. Yes size matters, and you’re getting the short end of the stick.

Dobbs is a very small hall. It’s not just the rooms or the hallways, but it is literally a mini version of the actual halls on campus. With the exception of the ever-sustainable Hamiltonians, many other first years are used to using elevators to go up their hall floors. Unfortunately, Dobbs is so small that we have no elevators, as our building’s floor plan is basically a rectangle with a side missing. Our hallways are mildly narrow and the ground floor is not the best place for tall folk, as the piped ceilings nearly reach close to their heads.The rooms are smaller, the lounges are smaller, and so are the options for seclusion. Most social spaces at Dobbs end up occupied, so be ready to claim them quick. If you want to study, you either have your room or the Courtyard (one pretty, but overlooked rare asset of Dobbs living) options for at home appeal. It’s something that you’re gonna have to get used to, as long as they continue to offer it a first year living option. If you enjoy the small size and mildly dank odor, it honestly won’t be that bad.

2. The legendary “community” is not all that.

Many people hail smaller halls like Dobbs for their strong sense of “community” and “togetherness.” I’ve lived in Dobbs for the entirety of my first year at Emory, and I really don’t know what these people were talking about. While I have many hallmates I like, admire, and maintain friendships with, none of those relationships were fostered over Dobbs’ sense of community. This community vibe is quite evasive, so you may find it within your own floor’s sub-cliques, but it’s not a guaranteed consolation. The small size of Dobbs can actually be a detractor from community connections, especially as you get limited options in the variety of groups available. Many people thrive off relationships based off of shared experiences as international students, club mates, or even playing the same sports. Unfortunately, if you don’t fit into these groups, get ready to make that walk to the freshman quad for a plethora of options

3. Dorm space is only temporary.

All things considered, don’t forget that your dorm room is what you want it to be. Some people spend all their time in their room, while others use it simply as a resting space. I’d recommend adjusting your school and activity schedules to what feels comfortable for you. Try studying in your local class building, the quad, cox hall, or go the old-fashioned way at Woodruff Library. You can always hang out with your friends in other places, and don’t be afraid to go off campus either. Your dorm room may not be the same safe space that it may have been at home, but you can definitely work with what you’ve got.