Everything You Need To Know About Net Neutrality

What the heck is net neutrality??

99
pexels

So, we all know that net neutrality was repealed by the FCC, but surprisingly a lot of people have no idea what net neutrality is. I've had tons of conversations with my friends and family about net neutrality and in every conversation, they had no idea what net neutrality really was and what it does for us. In their defense, I had no idea what it was before it became an issue.

So, what is net neutrality? Net neutrality is our ability to use the Internet and access all different websites without any extra cost or interference. Net neutrality is basically our right to free use of the Internet. Right now it might not make sense. But let me explain what losing net neutrality does.

Without net neutrality AT&T, Comcast, Verizon and other providers will be able to decide which websites you have access to. They can do this by blocking websites and content, specifically content supporting their rivals. They can also speed up or slow down different websites. They can mess with our right to freely use the Internet. Now does net neutrality make more sense?

No net neutrality means that minority voices will be squashed. The majority can afford to pay these companies so that people have easy access to their content or websites, but smaller companies won't be able to afford the hefty prices. Additionally, minority political voices could be blocked. And worst of all media regarding minorities such as people of color or the LGBTQ+ community could be restricted and blocked.

With providers such as AT&T and Comcast charging companies like Netflix or Etsy money for good service, how much we pay could increase. Netflix could increase its cost because it has to compensate for paying for fast Internet speed for its users. Etsy creators may jack up the prices of their creations. Net neutrality will affect us economically too.

The Internet isn't really the Internet without net neutrality. We might think that the Internet is slow now, but imagine a world where your provider can slow down your Internet just because they don't like the company sponsoring it.

Getting rid of net neutrality sounds like censorship to me. America prides itself on being the pinnacle of freedom, but this doesn't sound like freedom to me. Now companies are going to control what we see. They can block political or social messages they don't like just like in North Korea, China and Iran.

So now what? Do we just lay down and accept this? No, of course not.

So far there is already a legal challenge based on the FCC's ruling to end net neutrality. Furthermore, there has been a bill introduced in Congress to bring back net neutrality.

So what can we do?

The first thing we need to do is educate ourselves on the issue. It doesn't help anyone to talk about issues we know nothing about. The second thing is to educate others. I'm betting the more people that are aware of the issue, the greater the outcry will be.

We can also contact our representatives. While it has good odds of passing in the Senate, the House of Representatives will be a big battle since Republicans outnumber Democrats by 239-193 in the House. Many Republicans would need to side with the Democrats to make this a reality. Despite the odds, protecting net neutrality is worth the fight.