Psychology, A General Education Class Everyone Should Take

We need to normalize the importance of mental health and need to normalize self help whether that's through therapy or any other way.

30
Photo by Edwin Andrade on Unsplash

General Education courses. Don't we all dread them? Or t wish they would be worth our time? We all try to seek short cuts and try to find the easiest general education class to take. One which won't require much work and will be worth our precious time.

Often times when a general education course is one where we can slide by, we skip classes or just show up to take the final.
However, what about that general education. the course that changed the way you think? A general education course in which you wish there was another class? Or Maybe the teacher made a difference? What about a general education course that actually had you paying attention to the whole hour and a half of the lecture?

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to choosing general education courses. However, there are always different sections where you need a class to fulfill the requirement. Well, there's one particular requirement on the graduation requirements that tends to stick out and lead people wandering about what class to use to fulfill the requirement.

The specific category I am talking about is social sciences. Some might argue to go with boring Biology or maybe something like earth science. While choosing that perfect general education course something to keep in mind is the difference it will make. If that general education .is only taken for the grade than it is not meant as general education. taken for meaning, for understanding.

Psychology, a class used to fulfill the requirement of social sciences. However, a class that everyone needs to take. It doesn't matter what semester you take it. It doesn't matter what year, although I would recommend trying to take it freshman year. However through this class, you not only learn the material, but you learn about life.

Some may argue that psychology is about studying behavior. It's about the changes in behavior, in attendance, in the mood. However, psychology isn't all about studying behavior. It is about studying life. While taking a psychology class you learn the most basic things that aren't even considered normal in society today.

In today's society, we have normalized the importance of social media, likes, views, followers. We haven't normalized the idea of just understanding people. We don't find it normal when someone starts talking about what's going on.

While taking a Psychology class, you will learn about different things like common psychological disorders, boundaries, Maslow's hierarchy. But more importantly, you will gain a view on yourself. You will gain knowledge about self-help and mental health. Two things that should be the top priority. We haven't normalized in society today. We need to normalize the importance of mental health and need to normalize self-help whether that's through therapy or any other way.

So I class I would defiantly recommend if you want to learn more about yourself and help normalize the importance of self-help and mental health is psychology!