Everyone Should Learn to Appreciate Art

Everyone Should Learn to Appreciate Art

It might be what your soul is asking for.

442
Everyone Should Learn to Appreciate Art

As defined by a Google search:

Art is…

“…the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.”

Art is such an ambiguous word. It could mean a multitude of things. My definition of art is going to be radically different than someone else’s. I think this differing in definitions is one of the major forces behind the power of art to affect human nature.

For example, I consider a lot of things art, but I only truly appreciate a few forms: painting, dancing, and writing. These are my favorite mediums for art. I love the way paintings draw your eyes from one corner to the other and how they often have such hidden meaning. When I see a dance that conveys meaning and emotion, I usually cry because it is so beautiful. Some people don’t consider writing to be an art, but it is an “expression of human creative skill and imagination”, so I consider it so. Finding a book that can transport you to a different time or place is one of the many joys I find in life.

While I only seek out these few forms of art, I do realize there are a million other art forms out there. If these three can emotionally touch me, then I’m sure anyone in the world could find a combination of art forms to speak to their soul. There are so many to choose from such as: music, drawing, crafting, theater, painting, dancing, and so much more. I don’t know if I would ever be able to communicate an entire list of art forms because there are so many.

This leads me into my main thoughts for this article: I believe that every single person in this world needs art to grow and prosper. I think art should be as vital to our education system as math and science are. People need to expose themselves to art, but also they need to create art themselves.

In an effort to help the world become more artsy, I’ve compiled a small list of ways you can involve yourself with art. These are just a few ideas, so explore different routes if you can.

• Go to a classical music concert
  • Spend an afternoon in an art gallery
  • Get lost in a new book or some poetry
  • Watch a theater production
  • Try a form of painting like watercolor
  • Search for street art in your community
  • Take some photos of the great outdoors
  • Pick up a hobby like knitting, quilting, or jewelry making

Regardless of how you embrace the artistic side of your life, I firmly believe that to be a well-rounded person one must have art surrounding them. Some people may completely disagree with me, but that’s the beauty of opinions. In my personal experience, art has always been good for my soul. I hope it is good for yours too.