Everyone Needs A Vacation

Everyone Needs A Vacation

Family vacations are so important as a child... but it doesn't have to be Disney World.

69
Everyone Needs A Vacation
Photo by Ryan Hefner on Unsplash

Many of my favorite memories from my childhood and adolescence come from family vacations. My parents always made it a priority that we go on once a year, no matter our financial situation. And really up until my late middle school years, we were very strapped.

But we always went somewhere. And did something. And spent time together. And that has stuck in my memory ever since.

Sadly, a lot of families cannot go on vacations. I get it. I really do. Money is a huge obstacle when it comes down to going on that perfect road trip and seeing all the sights. It's also hard to get off work for that long too, especially if you don't have paid vacation.

I'm not saying we should all do this. I'm saying we should all strive to do this. We should try.

Vacation spots don't have to be super expensive either. Disney World, Cruises, and big cities don't have to be our only destinations. Those trips are great and wonderful, but there are other possibilities. Getaways at the Lake, vacations visiting different families, vacations at home; the ideas and possibilities are endless. What really matters is just deciding to get out there and go together.

I'm a workaholic. It's hard for me to put down my calendar and to-do List for my family. I admit that. While I feel like I'm getting better in this regard, I know there are a lot of people out there like me. There are dads and moms who have to work and can't afford to take time off, but in reality they are losing time with their children and spouses. Those kids won't always be there.

My son won't always be at home. And I need to make the most of it.

We need to go on vacations and stay in crappy hotels and play in the hotel pool. We need to make sandwiches at rest-stops and get lost a time or two (what happened to MapQuest?). We need to try some new food and forget a toy at a gas station 30 miles back. We need to put away our phones and all technology for a week and connect with the rest of our family.

Work will always be with us. Sadly, family won't.

What's one week a year?