Not wearing makeup everyday
Beauty Fashion

Makeup Is An Art, Not A Necessity

I don't feel the need to wear makeup every day.

202
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/olsztyn%2C-poland
Olsztyn, Poland

Makeup is almost like putting on clothes for some people in our society. They don't feel like they are able to leave the house without having not only their outfit on point but also their makeup. I used to be one of these people but then I realized just how much wearing makeup every day was affect my self-worth.

Makeup can be fun to put on. You have the freedom to fix imperfections, create a dramatic look, and even be incredibly artistic with it. However, when you feel the need to not leave the house without putting makeup on that's when you need to take a step back a reevaluate your life. Our society is so obsessed with looking flawless all the time that many people forget that the standard of beauty we look up to isn't even real. We, as humans, will never look like we do in magazines because they're edited with computers. Many people use makeup as a way to hide our imperfections as if they make us less of a human being. There is no actual beauty standard, only the one you chose to listen and believe made up by other people. When I found myself listening to this standard more and more that's when I decided it was time for a lifestyle change.

I started wearing makeup every day when I was in the middle of my seventh-grade year. I wasn't too keen on the idea but some of the women figures in my life made it seem like so much fun and a right of passage, the thought of me finally getting to wear makeup made them happy so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Fast forward to my senior year of high school my makeup routine had changed a lot over the years, just like any. I'd experimented a lot, but I found myself unable to leave the house without putting on at least foundation. At this point in my life, most of my head was shaved and I didn't have to spend more than two minutes on my hair and I was loving it. I found myself pointing out ever imperfection as I was putting on makeup. Then one day I woke up too late to be able to put it on and I found that not wearing it wasn't that bad. It was actually liberating and my skin felt so much better. Not only did not wearing makeup save me time and make my skin healthier, but it also made me realize that I'm human and I have imperfections just like everyone else and I'm proud of them, they make me unique.

I'm a sophomore in college now and I hardly ever wear makeup. I do occasionally enjoy wearing but I've found having the extra time is better. I would encourage everyone who wears makeup to try going without it for a period of time at least once in their life.