Everybody Struggles With Swimsuit Season, Not Just Bigger People

Please Know That EVERYBODY Struggles With Swimsuit Season, Not Just Bigger Bodies

We all have insecurities.

157
https://unsplash.com/photos/Yd7ewgFs6Dg

Summer is upon us and many of us are faced with decisions, or lack of, that we made in the months preceding our long-awaited break from tests and studying. There are two types of people here. Those who have been hustling to get that "summer bod" and those who didn't quite make it there.

Whether you were actually busting your ass and haven't made it to your goal yet or, are like me, and spent most of the winter months camped out on the couch watching Friends reruns and eating my weight in Doritos, summer is here whether we are ready or not.

I definitely could've made better decisions, but here we are.

I both love and loathe swimsuit season. I love the warm sunshine and the break from school, but I don't love the thought of my body being exposed for everyone to see. Seriously. I just spent months wrapped in sweaters and leggings and now I have to show everything on the beach. I'm going to feel a little insecure.

Even if you are told you are skin and bones and so skinny you could disappear, if you feel self-conscious when you shed that cover up, don't be afraid to share that with someone. Your feelings are valid.

To wear a swimsuit is to expose yourself in ways that many of us are not used to and when there are that many people there to witness it, it's a jarring experience. It never fails. Every year, that moment I take off my cover-up, I am cringing from head to toe because even though no one is looking at me, it feels like there are a million eyes trained on me. It's disconcerting and uncomfortable.

Swimsuit season is not a season I enjoy 100% because I see so many people struggling with their bodies when really, they should just be enjoying the sunshine. It's a sad reality and we all live it.

Don't take away someone's feelings because they appear to have the perfect body. They have struggles too and instead of drawing lines, we should be looking for ways to feel better in our skin.