"Even If"

"Even If"

My hope is you alone

144
"Even If"
flickr

The popular Christian Band, MercyMe, released a new album titled, “Lifer” this year. One of their most popular songs right now, “Even If”, is on this album. If you turn on any Christian radio station, you are likely to hear this song at least once within an hour. I have listened to this song well over 100 times and it never gets old. It is one of those songs that is so powerful and moving, despite how often I hear it, it is just as inspiring.

Bart Millard, the lead singer of the band, gave an awesome quote on the meaning behind the song.

“Even If” is a reminder to people in difficult situations that don’t seem to go away. God was worthy long before any of those circumstances even showed up. This song is a declaration to God that even if He went silent and never said another word, He’s still worthy to be praised and that He’s our greatest hope in the midst of the trial.”

I recently attended a MercyMe concert at the end of their Lifer tour. The concert was one of the most encouraging events I have ever attended. In between songs, Bart talked to the crowd about being a Christian and going through difficulties. Before the band played “Even If”, Bart asked the audience to do one simple task. If anyone there has ever had a bad day, they were to turn their phone flashlight on. In a matter of seconds, the arena went from black darkness to being illuminated with lights. He asked that if someone was going through a difficult time right now, to look around. You are not alone. God calls us the body of Christ because we are asked to lean on each other and work through issues together. You are not meant to struggle through life alone. Find other people who will support you and don’t ever stop praying. Prayer does powerful things.

The main meaning behind the song is that no matter what God has planned, my hope will always be with him. God may not answer prayers exactly how we would want or expect, but he does every single thing for a reason. Because of this, I know that I have to let go and let God take control. God equips you with everything you need no matter what the situation is. He allows us to go through tough times in order to become stronger and grow our faith in him. The more we struggle, the more we tend to lean on God. Despite dealing with a ton of pain the past few years, I have grown tremendously. My faith was almost nonexistent, but now I have put all of my trust in the Lord. I have seen how much God has impacted me in the past and I know that he will do nothing that he isn’t supposed to do in the future.

God loves you and is always there for you. Just because things aren’t going how you planned does not mean that he is not there. God is with you every step of the way. God has a purpose for your life and you are never alone.

Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Watch the lyrics video here