Eugenia Cooney Is Still In Denial About Her Anorexia And That Worries Me

Eating Disorder Hotline: 844-228-2962

4950

This is a particularly difficult topic to write about because it feels like there's no correct way to go about it, so bear with me.

I recently came across some information that honestly scares me. I was scrolling through Instagram one day, as we all do-anytime-anyplace, and I came across one of my favorite meme pages. But instead of a meme, the owner of the page decided to post a rather serious topic.

They decided to bring awareness to YouTube star, Eugenia Cooney. The page posted screenshots of some of her pictures, as well as the comments of other people that think she's beautiful and want to be just like her. I saw that the page had tagged her, so I let my curiosity get the best of me and did a little social media stalking. What I saw... both sickened me and made me very concerned. I found myself not able to look away even though I desperately wanted to. It was basically split 50/50 between compliments of young girls wanting to look just like her and complete strangers telling her to get help on every single one of her posts.

When I found that she was a YouTube star, I decided to check out her channel. I watched maybe two handfuls of videos, that either she posted or that people made about her, before I couldn't bear to watch anymore. Based off of what I've seen, it's clear that people are very concerned about her obvious case of anorexia and want her to get help. The thing that bothers me the most is the fact that she doesn't see anything wrong and that she claims that she's "naturally that skinny" and that she has no medical reason as to why she's the way she is. There is CLEAR denial here and it deeply scares me.

Granted, with the amount of videos I watched (may I remind you, not that many), she might not be in denial anymore and may be seeking help. But based on the RECENT comments left on her Instagram page TODAY, she's either leaving people in the dark or she's STILL in serious denial.

It has gotten to the point where there were not one, but multiple petitions, circling around to get all her social media accounts taken down because she was triggering young girls with anorexia. Professionals and frankly, people with common sense, have said that she's a danger to people who have dealt with anorexia or are at risk.

Petition Calls For Ban Of YouTuber Eugenia Cooney For “Triggering Her Fan Base" www.youtube.com

There are some people including YouTuber, Onision, that are genuinely concerned about her health but also claim that she's intentionally posting certain things (or all things) to trigger young girls (while also bringing light to the fact that she's in denial). Whether or not this is actually true, it's still terrifying that it's gotten to the point where people are actually claiming intentional damage. I'm not going to say I agree or disagree, but you have to know when enough is enough.

She's very active on her social media and she can see all the things being said, both helpful and unfortunately idolizing, yet she continues to ignore it.

I may have only heard about Eugenia less than 24 hours ago, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon with no hesitation. Eugenia, PLEASE GET HELP. You have so many fans AND strangers concerned for your life. PLEASE get help before it's too late. Your health has been at stake for far too long. You've honestly been lucky to make it as long as you have, but you can live a long and healthy life if you just seek out help that you desperately need.

And if, deep in your sweet exterior personality, you're intentionally wanting to trigger anorexia for other people, YOU NEED TO STOP. What you're doing to yourself is VERY unhealthy and you're influencing others. Set an example and put everyone's mind at ease.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you or anyone you know suffers from anorexia, bulimia, or any other type of eating disorder, please DO NOT HESITATE to call the number above and below. You have the opportunity to save a life, whether it be yours or someone else's.

Eating Disorder Hotline: 844-228-2962