ethical clothing brands

7 Ethical Clothing Brands That Won't Break The Bank

Because no one is trying to spend $125 on a single t-shirt.

100

If you're like me, you've decided to shift away from purchasing fast fashion and toward ethical, and sustainable, clothing brands. The downside is that these brand items also come along with a pretty penny. As a college student, I barely have any money to my name, so I'm certainly not going to toss my hard-earned cash toward one single item. But, do not fret, not all of these brands are absurdly expensive. So without further ado, here are some of the more affordable ethical brands I could find.

1. Everlane

Everlane

You've probably heard of or seen Everlane if you're an Instagram lover like I am. A lot of bloggers flock toward the brand, and although some pieces are definitely a pretty penny, there's currently an option on their site to "Choose What You Pay" on select clothing items. Basically, the site gives you three options for what you'd like to pay for an item. I recently bought 3 t-shirts for $36 total (free shipping on your first order), and they are honestly some of the most quality tops I have in my wardrobe. Not only are they a material you know what won't fall apart in the wash, but the fit is also slimming and the colors are rich. I will absolutely purchase from their site again. $-$$

2. Kotn

Kotn

Listen, Kotn isn't the cheapest clothing but it's not nearly as bad as most ethical brands. A short sleeve will run you about $28 and a long sleeve about $40, but the upkeep of the products is incredible. They stand the test of time, and remember, you're purchasing from a company that cares not only about humanity but also about the environment. A sleek, effortless LBD costs $55, so is it a Target price? Maybe not. But is it beautifully made and sculpted? Yes. It's worth the money. $$

3. Alternative Apparel

Alternative Apparel

Okay, from this point forward, I have to stress that I have not tried any of the brands. I just started to get into the ethical clothing practice and I still have a lot of companies to try. What I also want to stress is that I am including these brands because they are all companies I'd like to shop from in the future. Shopping ethically is expensive, but it teaches you to be savvy with your money. Instead of spending money on clothes when you're bored, you only do so when it's a necessity.

So, now that my spiel is over, I am very interested in this brand not only because of its pricing but because of its wider range of clothing options. I'm very here for unisex clothing because it all depends on how you style it. I love being able to take a piece and make it casual or fancier depending on how I wear my hair, jewelry, and makeup. Versatility, ladies and gents! We're here for fewer clothing pieces but more options. Shop smarter, not harder. $

4. Dazey L.A.

Dazey L.A.

We love not only ethical but feminist fashion. This brand ethically creates its products in L.A. and Dani, its founder, designs everything herself. I love how even though this brand is ethically made, the clothing isn't boring. The designers aren't afraid to have fun with the graphics and cuts, which many other ethical brands steer away from. I'm excited to give this company a go. $$

5. Girlfriend Collective

Girlfriend Collection

While most of the other brands I've listed steer toward everyday wear, Girlfriend Collective focuses on exercise clothing. Whether you actually work out or you just want to lounge around in some stylish and ethically-made clothing, this brand could be a go-to for you. I know people who purchased from GC and love the products. If I'm in the market for a cute workout set for my bike rides this year, I definitely will be buying from this brand. $

6. Known Supply

Known Supply

What piqued my interest in this brand is its wide variety of clothing. It definitely strips down its fashion to the basics, but it still includes some fun pieces, including graphic tees and feminine cuts. The colors are generally muted, making them perfect for an everyday capsule wardrobe. $

7. Siizu

Siizu

I want to shop from this brand so badly. I went to their booth at a market in New York and I wanted to purchase every piece of its jewelry. I got the cutest pair of earrings and when I got home, I scoured Siizu's site to compile a long list of clothing I wanted to buy. It's pricier, but genuinely beautiful clothing. It's modern, comfortable and sleek. And as far as fashionable, ethical clothing goes, this brand hits all the marks. $$