Things You Didn't Know About Estee Lauder

More on the company that owns some of your favorite beauty brands such as Mac and Clinique.

651
Wikipedia

Estée Lauder is more than just the first makeup that you bought with your mom; it is a key player in the beauty empire.

1. Estée Lauder is just one brand that is owned by the Estée Lauder Companies.

The Estée Lauder Companies is in the business of prestige beauty. The company has numerous brands and work throughout 150 countries. Estée Lauder is the founder of both the Estée Lauder Companies and Estée Lauder, the brand of makeup you know and love.

2. The Estée Lauder Companies own some of your favorite brands.

Including MAC, Bobbi Brown, Smashbox, Clinique, and of course, Estée Lauder. They own many of their brands, but the company also does fragrances for other names. If you are buying Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, or Tory Burch fragrances, you are buying from the Estée Lauder Companies.

3. While the Estée Lauder Companies founded some of their brands, they also purchased some.

Estée Lauder herself created Clinique as competition for her own namesake brand. She wanted to create cosmetics for women who were practical and had sensitive skin, so she created the first revolutionary, dermatologist-created beauty brand, Clinique.

Years later, the Estée Lauder Companies purchased their first brand. This Canadian brand created high-end, luxurious products for makeup artists. Today, you love them for their lipsticks and you know them by MAC, which stands for Makeup Artist Cosmetics.

4. Estée Lauder created her own products and directed sales.

Estée Lauder began making her own face creams when she was a small girl. Her uncle was a scientist, who taught her how to create them, and from the time she was a child, she was selling them herself and giving away her products.

As she grew older, she grew into an entrepreneur with her customers in her heart. She created products of quality for customers and wanted them to buy only what they needed. She often gave free samples of her products, which eventually led to idea of a “gift with purchase,” that we hear today.

5. The Estée Lauder Companies is still a family owned business.

The company was founded by Estée Lauder, and since then, her sons and daughters-in-law have worked beside her. Today, her grandson is the executive chairman, her granddaughter created a beauty brand, and another of her granddaughters works with Clinique.