10 things to bring to the beach.

10 Essentials for your summer beach trip

Suit up for Summer with these beach necessities!

79
Girl Sitting on Beach

Summer is officially here which means that it's finally beach season! So, grab your swimsuit, towel, flip flops and… what else?

If you're planning a trip to the coast this summer, don't run the risk of spoiling your day by forgetting what's next. Instead, consider this article your beach vacation checklist. This summer, BSU's Odyssey team has got your back and wants to ensure that your beach day is one to remember. Whether you're spending a day, a week, or even a whole month at the beach, you can't survive without these 10 necessities. So, grab your day bag and make some room for these items:

1. Sunscreen

A bad sunburn can ruin your day, possibly even your entire vacation. Do yourself and your skin a favor by applying a full-body coat before you leave the house.

2. Sunglasses

If your skin needs UV protection, odds are your eyes do too. And while those holographic shades you pulled from a clearance rack in your favorite retail store are cute, they probably don't function as effectively as you think. Instead, consider investing in a pair of shades that block 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays. They may not be Instagram worthy, but they can prevent some serious complications in the future.

3. Lip Balm

Whether you're swimming in the surf or just lounging on the beach, your lips are bound to dry out. Your preferred brand probably works well enough as a moisturizer, but does it contain SPF? A little protection goes a long way; so, if you don't already have an SPF infused tube of lip balm, stop by your local drugstore and grab one.

4. Bathing Suit

This one is an obvious must-have. Regardless of style, color or fit, bathing suits are bound to enrich your beach day.

5. Flip Flops or Sandals

No one likes having to clean sand out of their sneakers. Ditch the street shoes for a pair of trusty sandals. Not only are sandals easier to slip in and out of, they also prevent you from developing those awkward ankle-high tan lines.

6. Towels

Even if you never touch the water, towels are a must-have. They are the all-purpose beach accessory! You can use them as a place-marker, a sand barrier, a blanket, a pillow, a sun-shade or extra cushioning for your chair.

7. Water

Staying hydrated is critical wherever you may experience prolonged sun-exposure. Do the environment a favor, and opt for reusable water bottles. Also, consider bringing along a small cooler for both storage and preservation purposes.

8. Aloe Vera or After-Sun Lotion

On the off chance that you do develop a sunburn, it's always a good idea to have some aloe vera or after-sun lotion handy. Just remember to rinse off before applying- clean skin will better absorb the remedy.

9. Money

Chances are you will need to pay for parking. So bring along some cash or a card. Even if you don't end up at a paid meter, you can still use this money for any necessities you forget or an after-beach snack.

10. Your Phone

Who doesn't take pictures when they go to the beach? Crazy people, that's who. Not to mention, the "pin-my-location" option in either the Apple or Google maps app makes it super easy to let your friends know exactly where you're set up. In any case, phones are a handy addition to your beach essentials.