I Work As A Waitress In An Assisted Living During COVID-19

Hopefully, this pandemic with subside and we can return into the arms of those we love most. I know they are ready to see you again.

19

I am a big believer in things that bring meaning to my life.

Not just to my life, but the lives around me. Especially during this season we are experiencing, it is easy to forget the little things that have so much meaning. A smile, a nod, a wink. It can make the difference between light and dark.

Over the weeks of the coronavirus pandemic, millions of people have struggled and been distanced from their loved ones. Some days, weeks, or even months.

It breaks my heart to feel the world's heartbreak.

I began my work with an assisted living care facility just towards the middle of the COVID-19 outbreak. It was a special opportunity for me because the facility is very close to my heart. It was the home to my grandparents for a couple of years before I lost my grandfather.

Let me just say, 2019 broke me.

The men and women that dedicated their lives to keeping my grandparents safe, fed, and together are those people I would give my life to. I would work until my hands were raw, my feet numb, and my body exhausted and it probably still wouldn't be enough. These people hold my heart on a daily basis.

At first, I was apprehensive about starting work. I simply wanted to do as good a job as those who took care of my grandparents did, now more than ever.

These people have been separated from their spouses.

From their children.

From their grandchildren.

And the best they can do is talk on the phone or wave throw a thick, medical glass window. It is devastating and makes them feel as though they are trapped.

You would think that due to the lack of people surrounding them, in order to keep them safe, they would be sad and unwilling. Yet, these residents are just the opposite.

Man, have I been shocked at how amazing each and every person I get the opportunity to serve is. They are kind, loving, and now, I feel as though I have a dozen surrogate-grandparents I get to see daily while I can't see my own.

I sit with them and hear stories of the past and of their families. They tell me about their lives and every famous person they know, which shockingly, is a ton. They give the best hugs and have the most uproarious laughs you have ever heard. It is wild to think that serving them a fresh bowl of cobbler and ice cream and asking them how their day has been can change an entire mood.

Hopefully, this pandemic with subside and we can return into the arms of those we love most. I know they are ready to see you again. I know when I see my grandmother, it will be the longest hug I've ever held.

To all of my residents, you are the reason I love waking up in the morning to put on a medical mask.

To all of my co-workers, you make me smile and always remind me why I do it.

To the world, hang on, those overdue hugs are coming very soon!