Enter Circa, The Smart Alarm Clock

Enter Circa, The Smart Alarm Clock

Circa is a smart alarm clock aimed at waking you up refreshed.
94

Alarm clocks are a staple to the bedroom. Alarm clocks have changed over time, from traditional metal wind-up’s to today’s digital bedside clocks with blaring alarms.

Most consumers report that they now use their smartphones as alarms, something Circa Labs B.V. says is affecting your sleep.

Enter Circa, the smart alarm clock that aims to prevent smartphones from keeping consumers up at night.

“Late at night, we find ourselves scrolling through our timelines, while the blue light affects our natural ability to sleep,” a press release by Circa Labs said. “Circa aims to change that.”

Circa was designed by Circa Labs B.V. alongside Dutch designer Robert Bronwasser and aims to help consumers fall asleep at night while waking them up the next morning at the right time.

How does it do this?

Circa utilizes a small sensor, placed underneath a mattress, that measures the users sleep patterns, such as respiration and movement. Circa then uses this data to wake the user up during light sleep to help users wake up refreshed rather than drowsy.

To help the user further, Circa provides insights into the sleeper’s last few nights. Most apps provide users with an “arbitrary sleep quality score,” but Circa will help users adjust their sleep schedule to get the most out of the night.

All information will be stored locally on the device.

In the evening Circa can play white noise, calming sounds, or breathing exercises to help the user calm their breath and thoughts before bed. During the night, the clocks display is dark, only showing when the consumer wants it to.

Beyond the blaring, ear-shattering alarm provided with most digital alarm clocks, users have the choice to wake up to a wide selection of alarm sounds or listen to their favorite Spotify playlist or radio station.

Users can also connect Circa to their connected home devices to have the room light up gradually as the morning proceeds.

Circa is available for around $180 and is currently still on Kickstarter.

“With the smartphone and the rise of smart assistants, we got the question why we would make an alarm clock in 2017. But with the distractions that the phone provides and the privacy challenges of having microphones and cameras in the bedroom, we think that there is still room for technology that does one thing very well, in our case helping you sleep better!”
-Yannick Brouwer (Designer at Circa)