Is Good Customer Service No Longer Important?

Employees: practice what you preach.

14
Death and Taxes

We all hear and see articles about the "horrors" that is working retail or in the food industry because of one thing- the customers. That being said, we really don't see the other side that customers endure sometimes, rude employees and bad customer service. I've seen so many articles on what employees want us customers to know and how they want us to behave, but why aren't there any on why we deserve good customer service?

I'm sure we have all experienced some kind of bad service whether it was at a restaurant, retail store, or pretty much anywhere you make contact with other people. There are some workplaces that require their employees to go through communications training and emphasize on good, quality customer service and it definitely makes a noticeable difference. You can easily distinguish between employees that have has the training versus those who haven't.

The most interesting part of all of this is that when you're pulling up to an establishment, you are expecting for those employees to treat you in a respectable manner, and when they don't - it can make or break your day. Crossing paths with an employee with an attitude flips your mood right around but not only that, it turns this place that you once might have thought so highly of, to a bad memory in mere moments.

This is why I'm putting the workforce on the spot because as customers, and human beings, we deserve respect; no ifs, and's or buts. Great customer service is the key to not just a good company but a great company. And of course, that starts with the employees because they are the ones that man the stores and interact with customers on a daily basis. Yes, there are customers that come in with a horrible attitude and make you just want to scream, but keeping cool will just be better for everyone involved.

Even if you're having the worst day ever, once you go into work leave all of that behind. There's no reason that when someone pulls up to the drive-thru in a great mood that you have to ruin it with your bad one. Put your best efforts into everything you do at work, point blank. On the other hand, if you're having the best day ever, channel that into your work and feed that positive energy into customers and coworkers, it'll just make the day go by faster and make your day way better.

So next time you're thinking that customers are the only ones that need an education on how to behave, think again. Employees should put on their best faces during their shift to make the experience of customer service better for everyone. Let's put bad customer service to rest!