The Emotional Roller Coaster That Is Returning To College Park

What happens when there are just too many feels to process...

31

When you spend your entire summer making up for all the money you blew while in College Park last semester, and when it comes time to move back to CP, you are practically gushing with giddy enthusiasm…so much so, your parents are actually itching to get rid of you. Yes, even your mom.

Your besties’ group chat is alive with celebratory dancing gifs and memes, but no amount of caps lock, graphics or excessive punctuation, can do your feels justice.

Adrenaline fueled by memories of last semester’s antics pulses through you, and you can hardly keep your drumming fingers and jittering legs from fidgeting in anticipation of adventures to come, which is particularly frustrating when you are still rolling through the now mindless motions of work.

When you complete your last day at your summer job, you practically cry tears of joy realizing that you can stop pretending to be an adult and soon be swept away by the fantasy faux-world that is college. You may even check your book list every day until you leave - not because you are looking forward to buying (or not buying) textbooks, but because this “necessary” evil of college is a reminder that yes, you really are going back to school soon.

So what if you will still be working when you get back to CP? Rather than bingeing on "Gossip Girl" after your dreaded work shift, you’ll soon be surrounded by the friends that know you better than yourself … you’ll still binge on some GG, but now you’ll have someone to share in your disgusting Netflix habits.

By the time that glorious, sweaty day that is move-in rolls around, you’re fine with sleeping on the floor and living like a squatter so long as it means you are back. The utter relief and joy you feel about your long-awaited return is all-consuming, and you are planning the best way to run-hug/tackle your BFF’s without getting hurt … and secretly hoping that your mom will document the moment and you will have adorable candid shots to Insta, letting all of CP know that you are officially back and ready to take over the semester.

Besides, if you don’t post it on social media, are you REALLY back?

The next few days are spent nursing the wounds you acquired when you too aggressively tackled your favorites (flip-flops=losing toenails FYI), frequenting all your top spots (obviously adding Insomnia Cookies to that list), and spending every waking moment with the people you spent all summer missing … even going so far as to Snapchat them pictures of themselves even if they’re in the same room as you.

Again, are they REALLY there if you don’t document it?

Blurrily, you completely forget that classes start in a matter of days.

Once the textbooks are (potentially) obtained, you get your first work schedule and you’re not totally stressing about how unorganized your room still is. You come to accept (not until Sunday night of course) that classes will be starting and the paradise that was the past few days is now a sweet memory to cherish …

…and relive once the weekend rolls around.

Here’s to the fall 2015 semester: stay focused, have fun and as always, keep it classy, College Park.