15 Emergency Winter Supplies To Keep In Your Car At All Times- Just In Case

If you've ever been told to keep a can of gas in your car, DON'T!

15
Snowy road

Whether you tend to have a heavy foot on the gas pedal or are often compared to your grandma or grandpa, it is very important to stay safe during the winter. There are many precautions that you should be taking in order to stay safe not only for yourself but also your loved ones. They want you home safe.

That list includes investing in snow tires, always telling someone where you're going, having a fully charged phone before driving, doing everything very slow, leaving plenty of space between you and the car in front of you, and making sure you are checking all of your fluids regularly. In addition to this, you should also keep an emergency supply kit in your car at all times. Here are 15 things that should make up that kit, that, not to mention, are fairly inexpensive and easy to find:

1. Ice-scraper

Walmart

This is obvious; make sure you start your car 15-20 minutes before you need to leave. Put on your front defroster as well as the rear (if you have one) to help warm up your car's engine and windows. This will help make some of the ice on your car easier to scrape off. It is against the law to have snow covering your windows, license plate, or lights, so make sure your car is cleaned off well!

Remember to clean your wipers thoroughly, because they might be frozen down by ice and if you try to use them, then you may burn out the motor for it. Try to clean off your car the best you can. If you get on the highway and there's snow on the top, then it will blow in other people's faces. Very VERY annoying.

2. Rock salt/ kitty litter 

Walmart

If you're in really thick snow and your tires start spinning, then it can really come in handy to have some kitty litter or rock salt. Just get out and pour some in front of the tire and it should help it build some traction. If you're with someone else, try and have them drive forward while you push the back of the car. Even getting your car to move a little bit can make a huge difference.

3. Mini shovel 

Walmart

Shovel some of the snow in the front and back of the tires that are spinning, and it should help build some traction.

4. Gloves/ extra winter clothes 

Walmart

If the situation arises where you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and it turns out to be hours before anyone can come to help, you are going to want to stay warm. Hypothermia is not a myth...it is very very real! Especially if your car breaks down and you need to go outside to fix it or it won't start, the main priority is keeping yourself alive and well.

5. Warm blanket 

Walmart

Just like the previous supply, you're going to want to do everything in order to stay warm. For example, if you're on a back road and have no cell service and no cars are going by, what else can you do? It could be miles away from any business and it could be a blizzard. The best thing is to stay put and wait the storm out and, above all else, STAY WARM.

6. First aid kit 

Walmart

Imagine you're stranded somewhere and you get hurt-what do you do? Hopefully, you have a first aid kit that will provide at least a temporary solution until medical help can arrive. Especially when the roads are awful and white-outs are likely, an ambulance will not be able to come as quickly as they would in other weather.

7. Extra windshield washer fluid 

Walmart

As strange as it may sound, this is a very important purchase for your supply kit. Windshield washer fluid is especially helpful when you're on the highway and the mud from other cars keeps being kicked up and onto your windshield. Keeping your window clean and visible reduced the risk for an accident to happen.

Even if you're in a hurry, it's better to get somewhere alive rather than dead. Just saying, think responsibly.

8. Jumper cables 

Walmart

In order to keep the cost down instead of having to call a tow truck, it may be a good idea to keep jumper cables in your car in case your battery dies, as they often do right when it gets cold right away. I personally keep mine in my truck where there is a space beneath the floorboard with my spare tire, but you can get creative.

9. An EMPTY gas can 

Walmart

Growing up, I was always told that it is smart to keep a full can of gas in my car in case something happens, but I have recently discovered that this is actually even more dangerous. If your car were to catch on fire, then the gasoline in your trunk would only exacerbate the situation.

Try and stay on city roads so that if you do break down, you can walk to the nearest gas station and get some gas.

10. Rope/chain 

Walmart

If you get stuck, then it's also a good idea to have something that someone can use to help get you un-stuck. There's nothing worse than having to pay hundreds of dollars to get your car towed because you didn't have some simple supplies. You can get this at your local hardware store.

11. Wireless cell-phone charger 

Walmart

The last thing you want is to be stranded with no way of communicating for help. That can be a very high intensity and scary situation. As always, it is better to be safe rather than sorry. Always make sure you have a way to call for help during an emergency.

12. Map 

Walmart

If you're in the middle of nowhere (or somewhere you're just not familiar with) and your phone isn't working, it might be a good idea for you to have a map. In the very least, you can get to a gas station to wait out the storm, call a parent, or get directions.

13. Food/water 

Walmart

I would advise you always have a water bottle with you that you constantly bring inside and outside with you. This way, your water is less likely to freeze on you. As for food, it should be an assortment of things that will help give you energy and are non-perishable.

If you end up stranded somewhere, it's better to be safe rather than sorry, so pack more than you think you would need. Worst case scenario, you have to go hours upon hours without help.

14. Small toolkit 

Walmart

Even if you're not mechanically inclined, like me, a toolkit will be very helpful if you need to make a temporary repair to get you home. Plus, if you call a friend or parent, they can help walk you through what to use if you're unsure.

Better yet, if you're with someone who knows what they're doing, they will be very appreciative that they have the supplies that they need in order to help you.

15. Flashlight 

Walmart

As we all know, it gets dark incredibly early now. This means that even if you're driving home at 5:30 in the evening, some people may not be able to see you, especially if it's snowing really hard. Having a flashlight will not only help with making yourself visible, but also if you need to look for things in your car.