I Was Hyped To Start College — Until It Was Time To Leave

As A High School Senior, I Was Elated At The Thought College, Now I'm Terrified

And that's OK.

1217
Brendan Scott

Let's be honest, there are kids who love high school, and there are those who hate it. I found myself in the grey area. High school can be filled with limitations, drama and stress as you think about life after the next four years. I definitely overwhelmed myself with extracurriculars and a heavy course load. Of course, these things ended up paying off in the end as I'm going into undergrad with over 50 college credits.

By the middle of my junior year, I was on the college hunt, visiting schools left and right. I couldn't wait for college. I had friends that had graduated and went to college as a freshman. It seemed like they were living the life. They seemed like they were living a life of freedom and non-stop fun (I'm sure college has these times). Although the nerves were hidden from me for sure.

Now that I'm an incoming freshman at my university, I'm terrified, but that's OK. It's a huge transition for someone like me, and for really any kid.

The transition is bigger than you thought.

I'm going four hours away for college; some may be going farther or closer. No matter how far, the transition to college is bigger than you expected it to be as a high school senior. You have to start thinking about how you're going to survive on your own, and setting up your own schedule (even if you think you've been doing it for years) can be extremely overwhelming. You have to prepare yourself for living on your own, and seriously on your own. Nobody is down the hall watching you, making sure you make the best decisions for yourself.

Your routine changes completely.

In high school, you go to school at the same time every day and come home after your practices, meetings or extracurriculars on a regular schedule. Although, it seems like college changes all that. You find your routine, of course, but it's not the one that you've been used to for the past four years of your life. Again, you're on your own managing your own routine and figuring out the adulting thing on your own.

You leave your safe space.

For me, this is my room and my home. For others it can be somewhere else, but ultimately you have to face the reality that you have to leave that comfort and establish a new one. Also, you leave behind the people that comfort you the most. Whether that be your mom and dad, best friends or family, there isn't much that you can do about it. There's always FaceTime and phone calls, but it isn't the same as being a few steps or miles away.

It's all new.

You have a new home, new campus, new place and new friends to make. All of this newness can be overwhelming but an exciting start. Maybe you think you're ready for the newness, but as move-in day creeps up on you, you are going to miss your routine, your friends and your family.

The transition to college shouldn't be anxiety-ridden, though. Believe me, I'm excited, but I'm anxious as well. So to all you high schoolers out there reading this: enjoy the time you have right now. It may seem terrible, but in totality, you'll miss the simplicity and comfort of the position you're in now. Get excited, but remember to relish the moments with your closest friends, family and the fun experiences that high school has to offer. Before you know it, you'll be moving into your dorm as an excited yet terrified freshman.