Elastic Culture

Elastic Culture

While you’re still young, you have to immerse yourself in anything that is new and “scary” whether you want to or not.

80
Elastic Culture
Quotes Gram

I think that while you’re still young that you have to immerse yourself in anything that is new and “scary”. When you grow older it’s easy to find yourself getting stuck in a habitual routine of day to day life. By getting stuck in this routine, you never open yourself to new possibilities or to new people. Living in such an uninspired way, life can get boring. I consider myself to be very lucky because ever since I was as young as 3 or 4, I have been able to explore the world. I have been to beaches in the Caribbean, camped in the middle of Verona, and may be getting the chance to expand my horizons by traveling to Turkey and Italy. By exploring cultures that are not my own, I can gain a greater knowledge of those around me. As Thoreau once said in his book Walden; “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” I want to live with a purpose and to see what all there is to see. What will help me to grow and to learn. When I pass on, I want to be able to think back and know that I had learned all that I could. I also want to be able to pass on an open mind to the generations that follow me. My woods are the world and in that respect, I want to lose myself there and expand my knowledge that only its people can tell. This also means that I can begin to develop an ever changing and open minded perspective of the world that I live in.

I intend to make full use of my young mind and body while I have the time. I study any and all languages that intrigue me, find that I lean toward other cultures rather than my own and enjoy myself while doing it. That’s the main point of “putting myself out there”. To be vulnerable to other cultures and get out of the environment that has the mindset “America is number one”, it’s really great. You receive another view that you lose by staying in the same environment. It’s as though you grow a third eye of enlightenment. . Ever since I was in elementary school, I have had a keen interest in a variety of cultures.. During the summer months of my 3rd year of elementary school, I participated in a Chinese culture camp. There, I learned simple words, what they did to pass their time as well as tried some of the foods (made authentically). This is what spurred my belief that everyone, especially myself, needed to get out there and try something they never had before! It gives you such an amazing feeling and you’re learning without even realizing it. That’s why I want to have more experiences such as this one.

American culture is very pro-us. For that reason, I think that getting out of this country, out of this state and into the of a country I’ve never been to will drastically change that mindset of red,white and blue which is trying so hard to be imprinted into my brain. This is important for me. I want to be able to contribute what I can and enjoy what I do in life so by taking advantage of the elasticity that is my brain and my young body, I will embrace all cultures and expand my belief to others. I plan to travel and learn all through my life, to practice my own philosophy and expand my culture. Shoot, I’ll try eating beetles off a street vendor if it’s something that will get me closer to the people and the antique culture, not what we impart on them (such as Mcdonalds in China).

When I say expand my culture, I mean that I will immerse and lose myself in the beauty of where it may be that I am travelling in: the language, food, literature, theatre, anything that I’ve never experienced before. The authenticity is what I long for. It is my belief that by knowing and understanding someone’s culture that you may understand that group or that person better. You won’t have to pester them with questions or treat them as an outsider. I can grow closer to my roots and gander into other people's. I may discover traditions that had been lost through generations as we moved and hid. This is something that I find to be special. I will forever hold a firm belief that it is important that while you are young and able it is important to learn and gain as much knowledge about those around you rather than staying in a certain mindset. Where’s the fun if you are unable to be adventurous? Life is about taking risks when you’re young: learning and feeling as though you lived life to the fullest. No remorse or regret. Just a greater sense of the world and what is going on around you. I believe that is the greatest treasure I could receive, that all of us could receive.