Eight Months Later: Pie, Trump, and Conservatives

Why the Left and Right need to take Jonathan Pie's message to heart.

42

While America and the world was still reeling in shock at the election of Donald Trump, one British reporter was busy formulating one of the best responses yet spoken. Jonathan Pie, a witty, vulgar, leftist reporter, is a fictitious creation of comedian, Tom Walker. However, there was nothing fake about the explosive video he posted to his Youtube channel of approximately 250,000 subscribers, which quickly went viral, garnering over 3 million views. While supporters of the president celebrated, liberals asked themselves, “How did this happen?” The answer is quite simple, and if they had stopped calling for further radicalization of the regressive left, they might have taken a few moments to listen to the one person who knew exactly how it happenedJonathan Pie.

Pie starts off with a bang, launching into the mess that was the few days following election night. The original video contains a decent amount of profanity, and for the sake of reaching a wider audience, I’ve cut it as well as some repeated words and sentences. I haven’t, however, manipulated the information in any way. There will be a link at the end of this article containing the original video and I highly encourage you to watch it for yourself.

“People keep saying to me ‘How did this happen?’ They’re dumbfounded, but it’s so simple. The Left did this. This is my fault—people like me. When are we going to learn? The Left have given up putting any argument across at all to the point where Clinton is considered Left—liberal . . . And yet my friends are on Facebook saying, ‘I’m with her!’ I’m not . . . and if I see one more tweet containing a #everydaysexism next to a #trumpwins . . .not everyone who voted for Trump is a sexist or a racist—some of them are, but most of them aren’t. Most people didn’t vote for (Clinton), not because she’s a woman, but because she offered no palpable change whatsoever.”

Pie, who admits early on that he would have preferred Clinton win the election, delivers a much-deserved takedown, and leads directly into one of the key problems with the Left.

“Not everyone who voted for Trump is a sexist or a racist. How many times does the vote not have to go our way before we realize that our argument isn’t won by hurling labels and insults? . . . When will we learn that the key is discussion?

"But I can’t say this to any of my friends, people like me. I’d get lynched if I said this because people like me won’t listen. I did this. Donald Trump—the Left is responsible for this because the Left has now decided that any other opinion, any other way of looking at the world is unacceptable. We don’t debate anymore because the Left won the cultural war. So if you’re on the right you’re a freak, you’re evil, you’re racist, you’re stupid—you are a basket of deplorables. How do you think people are going to vote if you talk to them like that? When has anyone ever been persuaded by being insulted? So if you’re on the Right, or even against the prevailing view you are attacked for raising your opinion. That’s why people wait until they’re in the voting booth. No one is watching anymore. There’s no blame or shame and you can finally say what you really think. And that is a powerful thing.

“And all the polls were wrong. Because when asked people can’t admit what they think. They can’t admit what they think—they’re not allowed to. The Left doesn’t allow them to. We have made them afraid to articulate their opinion for fear of being shut down. They’re embarrassed to say it. Every time someone on the left says, ‘You mustn’t say that’ they are contributing to this culture."

A different kind of hostility has arisen than the one Pie spoke of, the slow, fear-mongering decay of the assumed opinion. Instead of taking a good look at themselves, Leftists have doubled down by making the president into such a polarizing figure that ordinary people are ashamed to admit they voted for him. Multiple people have told me there was no way they would wear their MAGA hat in public for fear of being harassed or punched, or in some cases, pepper-sprayed in the face. The majority of Trump voters are still too afraid to admit publicly what they think for fear of losing family or friends.

It’s easier to keep your mouth shut and your eyes down and let others assume you voted for Clinton than it is to stand up to the inevitable harassment you will receive should you dare to admit otherwise.

The only ordinary people who express their political opinions anymore are on the left, because that's the prevailing view. So anyone who deviates from the leftist ideology is better off just keeping their mouths shut. Don't tell anyone your opinion because you're a bigot, you're a racist freak, you're a deeply evil person. You don't deserve a place in this society. This is an automatic assumption of guilt, an undeserved defamation of character, based solely on a difference in opinion.

Don't assume that people are on the Left. Clinton assumed that all women were for her because #sisterhood, and look what happened? 53% of women voted for Donald Trump and no one could have seen that coming because women were too afraid to admit they thought differently than their friends and family. Stop closing people down with mainstream opinions and engage them in conversation, compromise, cease the endless ridicule.

Jonathan Pie spoke one of the most important messages post election. Did anyone listen?

What the original video here.