What My Economics Major Means To Me

What My Economics Major Means To Me

This is what a major should mean to everyone

7
What My Economics Major Means To Me
Emily Yaritz

I'm the first to admit that River Falls was not my dream school. Growing up I always pictured myself going to a big state university, but clearly that didn't happen for me and looking back, I'm so glad things didn't turn out the way I once wanted them to.

When I chose River Falls and my Economics major I never imagined how much it would change my life. Now I know that sounds cliché, but it's the truth. I never could have imagined I would be in an intermediate macroeconomics class during my freshman year and I certainly never imagined getting an A in the class. I never could have imagined falling so hard in love with my education. I never imagined becoming so close to my economics professors and I never imagined how much it would hurt when they left.

My economics degree meant finding a home and a purpose within this department. This major meant finding out who I was always meant to be. This degree means discovering new parts of myself. It means challenging myself day after day. It means being hard on myself and making mistakes, but it also means shattering expectations and making myself proud. This major means expecting nothing but the best from myself and coming back stronger when I make mistakes. This major gave me people to look up to, people to work hard for.

This major gave me something to focus on when I had health problems last year. This major gave me something to love. This major gives me something to look forward to every day. This major allows me to be myself. Economics means being excited about my future. It means wanting to go to graduate school even when I never thought that would be a path for me. This major comes with a high opportunity cost. It means missing out on typical college activities, so I can stay home and study.

My economics major means not being able to picture my life without it. This major means wanting to make this department and school proud. Economics means everything to me.