Everything You Need To Know About G-Eazy's 'The Beautiful & Damned'

G-Eazy released his fourth studio album and it could be his best work yet.

8378

G-Eazy has teased his fans for long enough about the release of his new album and it is finally here! The Oakland rapper has had quite a week with the release of his fourth studio album, “The Beautiful & Damned”, on Friday, December, 15, and also confirming that he will be collaborating with fashion company H&M on a clothing line.

“The Beautiful & Damned” consists of 20 tracks and contains features on songs from artists like Cardi B, A$AP Rocky, Charlie Puth, his girlfriend Halsey and more. I am one of those fans that have almost died of anticipation while waiting for this album so there is no need to drag this on for you guys either! Here is all you need to know about G-Eazy’s new album, “The Beautiful & Damned.”

1. The Beautiful & Damned (song): 4.2/5

The first track of the album is self-titled and sets the bar for the rest of the tracklist to follow. It begins with a sinister sound and breaks into a classic creative G-Eazy beat to rap over. On this track, Eazy talks about being a Gemini and the struggle he has with his two sides — something that’s considered normal to have for a Gemini but you don’t have to be one to relate to having two sides of yourself. He tells his audience about the struggle between his angelic sober side of himself and the drunk and wild celebrity that he has become. This theme of a devil and angel battling inside of him continues throughout almost the entire album.

2. Pray For Me: 4.5/5

Over a dope beat, G-Eazy compares his Hollywood lifestyle to jungle does so pretty accurately in his own way. He uses the “good vs bad” theme to describe how he’s always in “danger” basically one way or another. In the hook, he asks us to pray for him because of his wild nights, drinking habits, pressure from the music industry and the press, relationships with both good and bad women, and dealing with trying to remain on top of a very competitive rap game. This was personally one of my favorite songs on “The Beautiful & Damned” and you can make the argument that it’s his best on the album, though I wouldn’t and you’ll see why soon!

3. Him & I (with Halsey): 4.5/5

This song takes on a romantic “Bonnie & Clyde” feel to it and the two artists have absolutely amazing chemistry on this track — although I’m sure being a real life couple probably helps! This song is literally so beautiful and you can really feel the love they have for each other, especially after watching the music video. Halsey’s voice will put you in a trance, probably without realizing it, and G-Eazy’s verses solidify their relationship one bar at a time. I highly recommend listening to this track even if you’re not interested in the album as a whole, though you probably should be!

4. But A Dream: 4/5

The lyrics to this track, along with this entire album, take on a whole new level of maturity for Eazy in his career. He talks about how famous he is and how he is already solidified as a top dog in this industry and goes on towards the end of the track to say a line that motivated me personally: “Everybody back home serves as motivation so go and get the money, get the dreams you been chasing.” He could have been saying it as motivation for himself but it certainly comes off in a way that can motivate anyone.

5. Sober (ft Charlie Puth): 4.4/5

Featuring some amazing vocals from Charlie Puth on the hook, “Sober” tells a story of how Eazy enjoys his drunk nights better than his sober ones. He’s trying to find the balance between drinking and being sober but he knows he has more fun when he drinks despite making choices he’ll end up regretting when he’s sober.

6. Legend: 4/5

This track was a little uncharacteristic of G-Eazy. It has a fire beat, nothing out of the ordinary for Eazy, but contains a lot of different ad libs that’ll make you think this is more like a Migos song with some G-Eazy touches here and there. He takes on a completely modern style of rap music with “Legend” and he nailed it.

7. No Limit (ft. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B): 3.8/5

“No Limit” is actually one of the singles that G-Eazy released to tease the album and it did pretty well on its own... but I think that’s how it should have stayed: on its own. This is a good song, don’t get me wrong, and Cardi B & A$AP Rocky make it even better to listen to but it didn’t really fit in with the rest of the album at all. It actually kind of felt like the song was just tossed strategically into the album so it wouldn’t be all that noticeable that the song itself doesn’t tell you anything about The Beautiful or The Damned. “No Limit” was a really good hit single and I think G-Eazy should have kept it that way.

8. The Plan: 4.2/5

G-Eazy completely flexes on this track as he talks about sex, drugs, money, and everything that money can buy. There’s really not much more to explain about it so I’ll just say that it definitely bumps and it’s true to what G-Eazy fans are used to hearing on his earlier albums.

9. That’s A Lot: 4.4/5

First thing’s first, the beat to “That’s A Lot” goes so hard. The production of this track was just awesome and G-Eazy rapped over it like it deserved to be. This song is another song that feels more like a modern rap song rather than a tradition G-Eazy styled song but he finds his way to put his twist on it like great artists do.

10. Pick Me Up: 4.2/5

The first thing you’ll notice when you listen to this song is the ranges of G-Eazy’s voice from his normal pitch to higher and lower versions of it, sort of like The Weeknd did in “Initiation” but with a slower flow. The first time I heard it, I wasn’t sure how to feel, but the second time around was much different and I realized the pitches are meant to make the song a little trippier because it is about having a lover addicted to drugs and doing crazy things with that significant other because of the high you get when you’re with them — just like the high they get when they use. It’s a beautifully twisted song and the hook by Anna of the North goes pretty hard.

11. Gotdamn: 3.4/5

“Gotdamn” contained some good verses from G-Eazy but I think that, overall, the hook was a little too annoying to be able to really get into the song the way you want to while he’s rapping the verses. The hook is basically just Eazy saying “Gotdamn that bitch lit” a million times and then pausing a few seconds before beginning his next verse. This is the lowest rating I gave to any of the songs on “The Beautiful & Damned” because I think it was highly unoriginal and lacked creativity, especially for someone as artistic as G-Eazy. You might still like it but it’s definitely far from his best work.

12. Leviathan: 4.6/5

This song feels so much like a Kanye West song that it gave me chills. I’ve been saying for a long time now that G-Eazy’s style is so similar to Kanye’s — he’s even given some direct references to Yeezy in some of his songs — and this song definitely did not disappoint. This was, in my opinion, the second best song on the entire album and it was VERY creative which definitely made up for “Gotdamn.”

13. Crash & Burn (ft. Kehlani): 4.4/5

I was excited to hear Kehlani’s voice on the hook in “Crash & Burn” and she really did a great job here. The song itself kind of reminded me of Eminem a little bit from his “Recovery” album and I guess that’s funny because Kehlani is on Eminem’s “Revival” album too, which was released the same day as “The Beautiful & Damned” (I've reviewed “Revival” as well, which you can find here). “Crash & Burn” was a really good track where the two artists had some solid chemistry and I definitely would love to hear more collaborations between Eazy and Kehlani in the future.

14. Summer In December: 4.2/5

This track was totally different from other G-Eazy songs in the most G-Eazy way! It’s more of a melodic song that starts off with a piano playing as if you were in a fancy restaurant and is soon joined by what sounds more like a '90s hip-hop beat. Eazy talks about having his struggles out in L.A. despite it being the “land of opportunity” and even though everybody living there acts so happy all the time with the sun almost always shining, G-Eazy says that he just needs to feel like a grey sometimes and I think that perfectly captures the tone of this song.

15. Charles Brown: 3.9/5

The beat to “Charles Brown” was a pretty chill one to kick it to and overall it was a pretty good song. I had to give it less than 4 stars though because E-40 comes in on the track and I really don’t think it fit into the track well AT ALL. The song has a nice vibe until E-40 grabs the mic and then you’ll probably want to change the song because his verse sticks out in the worst ways.

16. No Less: 4.3/5

This song is definitely more of a love song and I think it’s a really good one, actually, but it does feel slightly boring if you’re more into G-Eazy for his faster songs. “No Less” doesn’t really have a wow factor necessarily but something that really stands out in this song is how romantic his lyrics are. Any G-Eazy fan can sit here and tell you honestly that his lyrics tend to be very misogynistic but not so much in this one. As I’ve said earlier in the article, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard this level of maturity in Eazy’s music but it’s far from being a bad thing.

17. Mama Always Told Me: 4.4/5

The hook from this track is from a perspective of a girl saying she was told not to mess around with boys like G-Eazy by her parents, other girls, teachers, etc. while G-Eazy’s verses are telling the girl exactly why she should get involved with him. He talks about how he isn’t as bad as the things she’s heard about him say he is so the connection the two of them have shouldn’t go to waste because what they have together could be real.

18. Fly Away: 4.2/5

I’m about 95 percent sure this song is about G-Eazy’s relationship with ex-girlfriend, Devon Baldwin, who he’s collaborated with in the past. Eazy talks about how they’re not working out no matter how much they want to be happy together and that it’s better that they let their relationship go even though it hurts to do so because they’re better off not being in a relationship together. He wants her to be happy and knows he can’t give that to her, hence the hook: “Little bird spread your wings and fly away.”

19. Love is Gone: 4.7/5

“Love is Gone” is actually a very serious song where Eazy shares his views on politics and society. He mentions police killings, backward societies, and so much more which is another highly uncharacteristic thing that G-Eazy has done on this album and nailed it. He even knows this is far from his usual and says so with, “So folks won’t listen if they think what I’m saying is conscious, they’d rather hear me turning up on some simpler topics.” He takes a stance in the first verse where he calls for change and in the second one, he speaks much more outward against Donald Trump and the government as a whole for failing to help this country, this ENTIRE country and not just a select group of white people with money or people in positions of power — although that tends to be the same thing. I absolutely love this song and it’s in my top five favorites on the album.

20. Eazy: 4.7/5

“Eazy” is a song containing three verses, each verse being a letter to a younger G-Eazy and starting with “Dear Gerald.” “Love is Gone” and “Eazy” are probably the two best all-around songs on the album and it’s even more amazing that they are back to back on “The Beautiful & Damned.” This is one of the most personal songs he’s ever written and in that category, it’s probably his best narrative of his own life besides maybe “Everything Will Be OK.”

21. “The Beautiful & Damned” (album): 4.4/5

For a 20 song album, “The Beautiful & Damned” was nearly flawless and that’s so hard to accomplish on such a long tracklist but an artist like G-Eazy can pull it off and make it seem like he hardly broke a sweat. G-Eazy has evolved into a stronger artist with each album he’s released. After he did “When It’s Dark Out,” I honestly was nervous he peaked but it looks like he’s welcomed the challenge of topping his best work and that’s exactly what he did here.