Time To Start Caring About Our Planet, Here Are 7 Easy Tips

It's 2019, can we finally start to help our Earth and its deteriorating climate?

17
Photo by NASA on Unsplash

Amongst all the political debate between the "climate change" and "global warming", I think it's time we as humans finally acknowledge the crisis of global warming and do something about it. With the way we are using our resources and fossil fuels, the Earth can't sustain itself for much longer. We need to be aware of the changes that are going to affect our future generations. Here is a list of a few things you can do to minimize the pollutions and energy consumption that is affecting our world.

Reusable water bottle over plastic any day

c1.staticflickr.com

Did you know that 18 billion pounds of plastic enters the world's oceans EVERY year? That fourth water bottle you got from the fridge late at night is not helping. Instead of buying a 24 pack at Costco, go to TJ Maxx or Target and get yourself a reusable water bottle. There are thermal water bottles which keep your beverage either hot or cold and it is very easy to refill. I swear the turtles will be forever grateful.

Unplug

It's easy to forget that you left the lamp on in the living room all day or that your phone has been charging all night but it does have a drastic effect on the environment. By leaving these electronics on, you are consuming so much energy. Not only is it expensive in energy costs, but all energy consumption contributes to climate change. It doesn't hurt anyone to be energy efficient so try to not have your laptop charger plugged in 24/7.

RECYCLE!!!

It's hard to believe but most people still don't recycle. Sometimes there are issues depending on where people live and the lack of garbage collection, but it really isn't that hard. Make sure you recycle your glass, plastics paper, and aluminum. Try to buy products that are made out of recycled material or can be recycled after use. It really is the most eco-friendly option and we don't need to be filling our landfills any more than we already are.

Calculate your carbon footprint

c1.staticflickr.com

Ever wondered how much energy and resources you consume? Maybe finding out will scare you into doing something about it. A carbon footprint is a measure of the amount of greenhouse gases you consume which attributes to global warming. By knowing how much greenhouse gas you and your family use, maybe you will become more aware and conscious of ways to reduce your consumption.

Check those expiration dates!!!

Approximately 1.3 billion tons of food gets lost or wasted every year. It's so easy to lose track of the food in your fridge but it is very important to check the expiration dates. If food is about to expire, make a meal out of it. If you make a big meal, make it a habit to keep the leftovers and use the leftovers as another meal to reduce your food and waste consumption.

Plastic free grocery shopping

When they ask you, "plastic okay?" please have the courage to say no. Either purchase their paper bags or bring your own reusable bags. The amount of plastic bags I have in a cabinet somewhere in my apartment is insane. Plastic bags are known for finding their way to the ocean and being mistaken as jellyfish by sea turtles or whales.

Pick up that trash

c1.staticflickr.com

If you see a plastic wrapper in the sand at the beach or a coke can on the side of the street, try to pick it up. Littering is so easy to do and so easy to avoid but if everyone picked up a stray piece of trash, there'd be a lot less pollution.

Even though these seem like small ways to help the environment, if everyone does them it will have a major positive impact. Our generation has to come up with solutions to reduce our consumption and find alternative resources. Our Earth is beautiful and needs to be taken care of, it's about time.