What If We Lived Everyday Like It's Easter?

Easter came and left, but we're still here.

42
Google

Recently we all celebrated Easter Sunday, or the resurrection of Jesus Christ. This day the parking lots of churches were packed. It was nice to see everyone dressed up and all the new faces. Usually, this last a week and then the church is empty again. Why?

My church started a new series called "If" on Easter Sunday. It's based upon the questions 'if' brings. For example what if everyone was born with their eyes on top of the head and their mouth sat in the palm of the right hand. Hmph. Well, I guess it would be awkward to talk to people... and maybe everyone would be extremely careful on what they touched.

Okay, Okay... That example wasn't the best, but you get the point.

What if dogs talked?

What if snakes had legs? (at one point they did)

What if spiders were the size of pandas?

These are all questions that weird people like myself think about before falling asleep, but those questions (although deep inside I'd love to know) remain rhetorical. As humans, we base a lot off of the word 'if'. Although those questions seem innocent in the wonders of life, 'What if Jesus never died on the cross?'

In some cases, we have to come to grips with things. e.g. What comes up must come down, two plus two equals four, happy wife- happy life, etc. "The wages of sin is death". Whether individuals call themselves Christians or not, it doesn't matter. The wages of sin is death. Thats like saying if you buy sin, you get death free.

Great, since we all have agreed with the previous statement, this brings unsettling news. Everyone is sinful. This now means we all die. Everyone. Forgotten. Dust. No hope for humanity.

No really, this means life sucks and then you die and thats it.

Woah, Getting a bit too deep there.

Questions like this is what the new series is about; sometimes it's interesting to think about these things....

First, well.. everything I know would be a lie. Second, the whole basis of my worth and being would be crumbled. Finally, If Christ never died for us and we are dead and have nothing to live for? Then I finally understand the bridge of Dave Mathews Band "Trippin Billies" 'Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.' In other words, whats the point of any sort of morals, there is no reason to live anyway, so why not live it up right now?

Although the music is okay (and the drumming is impeccable). This song is filled with death and despair. Eat drink, be merry. Tomorrow it all comes to an end.

But it's not even like that

What if Jesus died on the cross, for you, me, and all of our family? (that rhymed)

Then he rose again..

This brings good news! This means although we are sinners, our debt is paid!

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we LIVE? This is why Easter is a big deal!

After death is life, that changes they way we think. Now we must think about whats going on after death... in life.

If Jesus paid our debts, why do we celebrate it once a year? Let us not get wrapped up in our tradition, fashion or food. Instead let us live everyday like it's easter.