ECU Students

6 Things ECU Students Are Tired of Hearing You Say

In the heart of Greenville, North Carolina, resides a university that is sick of its old reputation.

31500
Shamin Jamadar

Regardless of what corner of the world you're in, you'll occasionally stumble upon someone donning an ECU emblem or someone with some relationship to our small, yet steadily growing, town in Eastern North Carolina.

Reaching a record enrollment of 30,000 students this year, there is no scarcity of loyal and bold Pirates. However, there are a few things that we all, collectively, are sick of hearing.

1. "ECU? You mean E-ZU." 

media.giphy.com

Yeah no. Students of other universities love to say this about ECU, but the fact of the matter is that no matter where you take Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry or Anatomy or any other difficult course, the class will be difficult. You're taking Intro to Africa Studies and barely passing, buddy.

Shade aside, it is beyond frustrating for students who work their butts off to do well in classes have their efforts discounted by people saying that their A was made with the breeze of the wind. Classes are hard, school is hard. Stop discounting peoples' hard work.

2. "ECU is a party school."

media.giphy.com

We've heard it time and time again, but seriously, EVERY single school is a party school with the right crowd.

We can't deny our past. We can't deny past mistakes. However, it is ridiculous to staple this label to our school when everyone can also see your university's Barstool account, along with every other university in America.

3. "Your football team? What football team?"

media.giphy.com

We've had a rough couple of years, we won't lie. But we're working on it. Every team goes through a rough patch, but when we've made it through, we'll be right back to where we are- on top.

And honestly, when it really matters, we pull out with a win. #33-30 #41-19

Even on the days we do take the L, well, we probably tailgated harder than your team played. We're nothing if not passionate.

4. "Your degree would have meant so much more if you had gone to _____ instead of ECU."

media.giphy.com

Or better yet, "you sold yourself short."

No Aunt Judy, I didn't. My degree isn't worthless no matter what you think.

ECU provides its students every key to success. A majority of this key comes in the form of our faculty. The professors, faculty and administrators at ECU are immensely invested into the future of every student who walks in the doors. They provide students ample opportunities to network, obtain resources, and many times, themselves go looking for resources and connections to provide students as they pursue their future aspirations.

And while some of their peers think that solely the name of their university will make them a better candidate for a job, program or application, we know that it is the hard work and support of our professors, as well as their dazzling letters of recommendation that will set us leagues apart.

5. "Can I come visit Halloween?!"

media.giphy.com

No matter the amount of trash talk we hear from you all, come mid-October the texts, Snapchats and DMs start to roll around.

Can you please just stay at your own place, we're not in the mood to be babysitting you.

6. "What does Greenville even have to offer?"

media.giphy.com

Sup Dogs, Christy's, The Scullery, Jack Brown's, Marathon, Pitt Street Brewery, Uptown Brewing Co., Winslow's, Mi Cabaña, Crossbones, Luna Pizza, the entirety of Uptown Greenville, should I keep going?

Even as a Greenville native, I have seen Greenville flourish within these past 4 years. Areas of downtown Greenville that were once dead are now lively every night of the week with good food, drinks and music. We're not there yet, but we're quickly on our way.

Along with this, Greenville gives East Carolina the most loyal fans, alumni, and support system.

East Carolina University has so much more to offer than what we are given credit for. We have one of the nation's leading Nursing, Business, and Education programs. We place refined doctors and dentists straight back into the community, serving underserved populations all over the state.

ECU's motto is Service- "To Serve," and we do this to the best of our abilities. Weekly pen-pal letters to elementary students, mentoring through play with at-risk students, alternative breaks, community trash clean-ups, Greek-life events to give back to local organizations, this list doesn't even begin to cover our acts of service.

ECU doesn't try to portray itself as something it isn't. We aren't trying to convince you of anything, but we are tired of others looking down at our accomplishments, our hard work, our successes.

We are tired of being labeled as something every school is. We are more than what you presume us to be, but we don't need to keep trying to convince you with our words, we'll show you.

Loyal and bold. We are the Pirates of purple and gold.