Earning A Degree In Theater Is NOT Easy

Earning A Degree In Theater Is NOT Easy

In which I express my frustration toward those who believe that a degree in art isn't worth anything...

100
Earning A Degree In Theater Is NOT Easy
Ana Costillo

In about a month, I will graduate with my Fine Arts degree in theatre with an emphasis in acting. It's been four long years of a journey that's very suddenly coming to a close. I've always wanted to be a professional actor, and with that, I've always known that I would face certain groups and individuals that think what I do is pointless, extraneous, has no place in functioning society, and most commonly, not as hard as more important jobs.

Usually, comments like this don't really bother me. I know that what I do is important in its own ways. However, the comments from certain individuals regarding the validity of my area of study do rub me the wrong way.

In general, trying to imply that someone's pursuit of higher education isn't as good or useful as what you choose to do with your education is not only extremely ignorant, but it also makes you look like an arrogant jerk. So much so, you end up negating all the impressive book-learnin' you've done for your "better-than-everyone-else" degree.

Any pursuit of education is commendable. In some way or another, you're trying to better yourself! That's wonderful! However, not everyone learns the same way or has interest in the same things. If you're really and truly committed to dedicating your life to a field of study, you're required to put a lot of work into it. Sometimes, that work is enjoyable--especially if you're passionate about it. The main thing I want to clear up is the common misconception that if it's work you actually enjoy doing, it must be easy.

Theatre, for example, is my life's calling. Studying it extensively and contributing to its growth is more than just fun; it's fulfilling. But that doesn't make it easy.

Another common misconception is that I'm pursuing theatre because I'm not smart enough to pursue a more impressive field.

HA!

Yeah, that's not a thing. Sorry to disappoint those individuals, but I'm a very intelligent person. The desire to contribute to the world of art does not mean that the ability to contribute to anything else is absent. You do not add to the validity of your own pursuits by belittling the pursuits of others.

So could you...ya know...not? It would be so great if you could stop doing that. If you think I'm referring to you or someone you know, then I very well might be. If you think for even a moment that you might be guilty of treating anyone like this, I encourage you to make a change in your attitude and behavior.

In case that task is difficult, I'd like to make it easier by illustrating what it is like to live as a BFA theatre major:

The work that does into your classes is only part of your college experience. The work that must go into preparing for a show is far more extensive and far more taxing. Whether you're cast or you're participating in the technical capacity, five to six hours of your day, four to five days a week are spent in rehearsal. Yes, of course, it's fun, but it's sometimes tedious and grueling work. You rehearse the same scene over and over and over and over, sing the same song, and put your entire self out in front of your fellow cast members (which includes your peers and your professors).

Then you get out of rehearsal and you finally have time to do whatever you wan--! Shoot, you also have four or five assignments for your general education classes to do. And you haven't eaten anything since breakfast. And you haven't had more than seven hours of sleep...all week.

Oh, and you need to get off book/memorized for that show you're doing...and also that scene you're doing for one of your acting classes. Plus you have to finish your character analysis for that class. And you have to prepare for auditions for next semester's shows. And by the way, now you have a terrible cold that you can't shake because of how seldom you get adequate sleep.

You spend all of your time preparing for rejection and hoping for success.

Personally, I also worked in the scenic shop, working with carpentry and scenic construction. I also worked with lighting on multiple occasions.

See, theatre is far more than just playing pretend. Proper theatre simply does not happen if the prep work isn't done.

So, no, I don't spend my evenings working complex mathematic equations or stressing over engineering problems. I spend my evenings dissecting my emotions and the emotions of the characters around me. I stress over being locked into the exhausting creative process 24/7.

Just because it's fun work, doesn't mean it isn't work. It may be different from the ordinary college experience, but it's no walk in the park. Yes, it may be playing pretend, but it requires a great deal of emotional integrity. The strength it takes to give public access to your own vulnerability is immense and severely underrated.

Just because you don't understand it, or it's different from how you choose to spend your time, doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

Because it's not.

It's my life. Please respect that. College isn't "easy" for anyone. And those who stick it out and achieve their degree deserve the credit for putting years of hard work into it.