How to Become a Morning Person
Wellbeing

I Became A Morning Person When I Decided To Have A Good Day

For those days when you just really can't leave your bed.

77
Hannah Leigh

I used to hate getting up in the morning, rushing out the door, and driving to school through frustrating traffic. Even on weekends or days I could sleep in, my body simply wouldn't let me rest because it felt the residual stress of all of my other mornings. Once I got to college, I decided to succeed in becoming a person who loved mornings. I wanted to learn to embrace the day, and this is how I did it.

1. The Right Playlist

When The Beat Drops Dancing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Making a playlist that got me hype was really important. I love being able to do makeup or get dressed along to a beat. If you're not trying not to wake up everyone around you, you can always use headphones! I've found that rap was too hard while my chill playlist was too soft to get me motivated. For me, listening to a nice blend of EDM and feel good songs were the right mixture to get me in a happy mood because let's face it, who's going to be super happy when they're rubbing sleep out of their eyes?

2. Lay out your outfits/materials the night before

I've found that wearing something you're comfortable but also feeling good about yourself is a perfect way to turn an average day into a good one. If you feel good in it, then other people will notice. However, reaching for those super cute shoes that pinch your toes isn't the best move. They may look good, but if you're going to be on the go, make sure you're comfortable enough to perform to your potential.

3. The night before, write out what you need to get done.

I always keep a planner that includes big projects, exams, and daily to-dos. For errands, I keep an electronic list on my phone in reminders. I typically like to have everything on paper so it's all in front of me (and it just feels SO good to check it off) but the electronic version is perfect for errands that you have to do that day, such as a trip to the convenience store or a grocery list. Each night, I write in one column what has to be done the next day and what can wait. Separating it into what you need to do and what you would like to do is helpful for when you're planning your day. Then, the next day you can feel more ready to face the day.

4. Switch off the electronics.

To be honest, getting little to no sleep sucks and we've all been there. Coffee helps and I seriously recommend it, but if it becomes an everyday feeling, consider turning off your phone, computer, or tablet at least and hour before you want to go to bed. Trust me, it helps. However, if you can't help yourself, you can always place your electronics on the other side of the room. I keep my phone far from my bed so that I have to get up to turn off my alarm.

4. Stop listening to everyone whine about the morning/how early it is.

While it's true that misery loves company, wallowing in pity for yourself is not helping your mental state. Simply changing your approach to a situation and do wonders for how you feel. If you simply choose to not complain to your friends about the morning and how much it sucks, then you'll start seeing it differently.

5. Don't forget to make time in the day for people you care about.

Broad City Illustration GIF by Kim Campbell - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

I've found that the times where I said no to hanging out with friends or loved ones, my mental state suffered. First of all, staying working for too long can be harmful to your mental health. Make sure to schedule time for being around people that support you and make you laugh.

Overall, choosing things and people I love has made me more of a morning person. Although we can all get caught up in the work grind sometimes, it's nice to wake up knowing that it's going to be a good day, and that is ultimately how I got over my fear of the mornings.