A Way-Too-Early Outlook On The Hoos

A Way-Too-Early Outlook On The Hoos

Why the Hoos have a great chace of competing for a national championship.

20
A Way-Too-Early Outlook On The Hoos

Congratulations to Villanova!

Now that they've had their moment, it's time to move on to thinking about next season, because realistically, every college basketball fan looks like this right now:

So, let's get down to business.

Many think that the Hoos might experience a drop-off next year with the loss of fourth years Malcolm Brogdon, Anthony Gill, Mike Tobey, and Evan Nolte. That talent will surely be missed next year (and even more so, Caid's impeccable timing and perfect gestures).

However, with their best recruiting class under Coach Bennett, the Cavaliers have a lot of talent coming in to replace the talent that is sadly departing. Virginia is bringing in four players next year, and all four of them are ranked in ESPN's top 100 players in the country. Our biggest recruit is Kyle Guy, a 6'2 shooting guard who is a top 25 player. Guy is the first McDonald's All-American to commit to UVA since 2008, meaning this is the first McDonald's All-American to commit to UVA under Coach Bennett. During the McDonald's All-American weekend, Kyle Guy received second place in the dunk contest and won the three-point contest. He averaged over 20 points per game in high school and is looking to lead the Hoos to a National Championship.

Ty Jerome, a 6'5 point guard, is a top 50 recruit, who looks to be a great recruit. UVA has also recruited a true center in Jay Huff, who is a great shot-blocker, and a small-forward in DeAndre Hunter. All of these players have the potential to develop into key pieces for the Hoos in the future.

Not only do we have new recruits, but we have two players that are ready to get on the court: Austin Nichols and Mamadi Diakite. A pair of 6'9 players, Nichols and Diakite add height and skill to the Cavaliers. Nichols, a transfer from Memphis, is looking to put his skill on display next year as a scorer and a shot-blocker. Diakite shares a similar skill set, being a prolific shot-blocker while being able to shoot from anywhere on the floor. Both of these players will add height and skill to the team.

Let's not forget about the amazing players that are staying behind as well. Perrantes is looking to be one of our leading scorers next season, and will most likely be the leader of this Cavalier's squad. Bringing back key players—such as Hall, Wilkins, Thompson, and Shayok—will keep a solid team together that has a strong veteran core; the Hoos will have experience that will help in the Tournament.

Finally, we cannot forget about the coaching of Tony Bennett. Coach Bennett is the true leader of this Hoos squad; as long as he is at the helm, the Hoos will enjoy good recruiting, solid player development, and the ability to rally a team that works as a well-oiled machine.

Come March next year, the Hoos will be in a position to make another tournament run. Our journey will be long, but it will be worth it. Us Hoos fans will be there for every up and down along the way. We just have to anxiously wait until the journey starts in November.