early college program

5 Things Being an Early College Student Taught Me

Because the transition between "college is next year" and "college is next month" happened a little too quick for my taste.

104
Photo Credit Lesli Schei

Hailing from a state ranked 48th in education, Idahoan graduates see the future as bleak and unmoving. With some of the lowest "go-on" rates in the country, educators in Idaho have been making a recent push towards initiatives that inspire teens to pursue a post-secondary education such as college, university, or trade school, and Idaho State University took a daring step towards bridging the gap between high school and university for the 2017-2018 school year. ISU became unique by offering on-campus classes for AP-enrolled high school juniors and seniors, allowing students like me to experience what life would be like once handed our diplomas.

I decided to join the Early College Program as one of the pilot students for a few reasons: first, my plans for college included me moving far away from everything I knew at home, so attending Idaho State for two semesters would make the transition easier for me. Additionally, I wanted to be able to push myself during my senior year, but also have an excuse to leave my high school classes early (I mean, come on, we can't expect greatness out of someone who hates school all the time). So, in the summer, I signed up for two classes not knowing the vital lessons I would learn about myself through them.

So, here are five important lessons I learned in my time as an Early College pilot student:

1. Don’t be afraid to stand out.

On my first day of ECP, my professor briefly explained the program and I hung my head in hopes that she wouldn't point out just who from the class was the high schooler. Lo and behold, in the same minute, she called "Which brings us to Lyssa Schei! What's your intended major, you know, for when you get to college?"

At the time, I felt mortified to be the center of attention among adults, but my professors encouraged me to be proud of the accomplishments that led me to sit in that Rendezvous Hall classroom. This helped me feel more comfortable answering questions in class, participating in discussions, and asking for help from my professors.

2. Your professors care about you and want you to succeed.

Though it may be daunting at first, your professors are people, too. It's totally okay to ask them for help on something you don't understand, talk to them outside of class, and even develop a healthy work relationship with them. While making stupid, offhand remarks in lecture isn't tolerated like it is in a high school class, your professors usually have a sense of humor and enough humanity to understand you.

My Media Literacy professor, Betsy Brunner, was the absolute best. She always took care to work around my rigorous debate schedule and would ask how my tournaments went when I'd come to lecture. She joked around with the class and made sure to take care of each individual student, even my friend who missed class all of the time. Additionally, my Survey of Dance professor, Lauralee Zimmerly, advised me on what to do about classes when I got to my intended school.

3. College requires a different work ethic than high school.

My friends would laugh at the way I studied. When it came to my high school classes, even those that were AP or dual enrollment, I honestly didn't study. School has always been one of those things that came super easy to me. However, my college classes were a complete different story – when a big test or quiz was on the horizon, I'd shut myself in my bedroom and not come out until all of my flashcards had been thoroughly gone through or I'd re-written all of my notes in blue ink to help me remember them better. I eventually got to a point where my studying felt more strategic and I developed a rhythm of how I personally studied the best.

Taking ECP made me realize that in college, I was going to have to commit myself to my schoolwork more than I ever have before. High school simply can't prepare you for the expectations you will have to meet.

4. Don't overexert yourself.

I am a workaholic by nature. As a complete Type A personality, I've always been the type of girl to go in a million directions – dance practice to school to work then back home to do homework. However, my Early College advisors always reminded me to take care of myself. Sometimes, a night with your friends or a hot bath is going to do more for your mindfulness than cramming for a Psychology 101 exam.

In addition, the help of your classmates is vital in succeeding. I always met up with my friends outside of class to study and get outside ideas on how to further improve my performance in class, which helped not only deplete my workload but added confidence in myself as a student.

5. College is the time to find yourself!

I met so many fun people through my Early College classes, who, for the most part, didn't really care that I was a few years younger than them. They still offered to take me to get Starbucks with them, hang out in their dorms, and meet up before class to grab a bite in the Student Union Building. All of them were so unique and it seemed clear that they were comfortable in their own skin. I also learned that many of them had only come to feel this way during their time at Idaho State, as in high school, they were insecure. They taught me that my early adulthood is a good time to explore who I am as a person.

Being an Early College student broadened my horizons and helped me immensely through the high school-to-college transition. I am so grateful for everyone at Idaho State University who helped me become who I am today through my opportunity to participate in this awesome program. Go Bengals!