Each College Major Has Its Own Challenges, Stop Judging The "Easy" Degrees

We don't have to judge one another for the amount of work we have, we should be supporting one another for doing our best.
2864

As the semester comes to a close, some of us have final projects that you work on all semester and others have the traditional exams at the end of the semester. But every student has to deal with their own set of stress, no matter what their major is.

At the beginning of December, there was a tweet that circulated Twitter:

Now, this girl got a lot of backlash from her followers and everyone who saw this tweet and I understand why. I have a lot of friends who are education majors and they work their butts off! I honestly don't understand why anyone can degrade education majors. They are educating the future accountants, doctors, lawyers, psychologists, etc. for the world. Why they are looked down upon is beyond me.

Besides that whole situation, this girl has no right to degrade education majors when she is not one herself. This girl may not have enough time because she's involved in an education organization on campus, has a position in her service sorority, or takes up a hobby that she loves!

She is comparing STEM majors to education majors who may or may not have to take the same classes as those STEM majors. It all depends on what those education majors are going into. Are they going into elementary, middle, or secondary education? What are they specializing in? It is all relative to what the person is interested in.

I am a Public Relations major at Illinois State University. I am apart of the College of Arts and Sciences. I am enrolled in the School of Communications.

Because I am considered a communications major, my major is considered 'easy' and 'a blowoff'.

Excuse me, the public relations career is hard. You try accommodating a client to exactly what they want while effectively communicating to their audience. If you screw up, there is a crisis on hand and if you are in charge of that client, you did not do your job correctly. It's not only a lot of pressure, but it takes a lot of practice.

Each major has its challenges. Just because you are a biochemistry major going on to get your Ph.D. does not mean you are better than a mass communication major trying to get a job producing a television show or a news program. What if you are a STEM major that is awful at math? Or music major who can't sightread very well? You work hard. You work until you can do it. Because it is your passion, you want to do well.

I was scrolling through all of the responses to this girl's tweet and I came across this one.

Say it louder so the people in the back can hear you! Each student, no matter what their major is, struggles in college. Everyone has different stuff going in their lives. Just because your major does things differently than another doesn't mean they don't work just as hard.

So students, before you judge someone for not having it as hard as you, think about what they could possibly deal and struggling with. College is hard, man. We don't have to judge one another for not having as much work, we should be supporting one another for doing our best.