Bullet Journaling Can Change Your Life - And Here Are Seven Reasons Why

Managing appointments, schedules, relationships, and a job can be extremely difficult. Bullet journaling is a guaranteed way to help you achieve your goals and make your life less hectic.

12

"In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person: I create myself." - Susan Sontag.

1. Writing notes and lists improves time management. 

Taking time out of your busy schedule to create to-do lists, weekly calendars, and important notes brings awareness to the amount of time you spend on tasks. Setting aside time to write in your bullet journal requires daily planning, which can lead to better time management overall.

2. Bullet journaling serves as a creative outlet.

For those of us who are not excellent artists in some form, a bullet journal is a perfect creative outlet that lets you put your thoughts, drawings, and notes on paper. Your journal is personal, and it gives you the freedom to do as you please with each page.

3. Making a list of your tasks can improve brain function.

Putting all of your tasks, chores, and appointments on one page can help you organize your thoughts. When you complete something and are able to check it off, it offers you a small sense of satisfaction. This re-wires your brain to become more goal-oriented and direction, reducing your desire to procrastinate and increasing your productivity.

4. When you write down long-term goals, you are more likely to achieve them.

It is a proven fact that when you write down a long-term goal such as a New Year's resolution or a project that you want to complete, you are more likely to start and finish your goal. If you want to be able to run a 5K without stopping by the end of the year, seeing that on paper makes it tangible, and therefore more achievable.

5. Bullet journaling is productivity without any technology involved.

While it's great to have Google and Siri at your fingertips, taking a step away from all the technology can help you clear your thoughts and be more conscientious of how you are spending your time. When your journaling, you may realize that instead of surfing social media or the web, you have been creating something that will help you get through your day and achieve your goals.

6. You start to feel accountable for small, daily tasks.

If you are one who forgets to check emails, fold laundry, or wash your car, bullet journaling will make you more cognizant of these simple tasks. Writing to-do lists, goals, or notes in your journal serves as a source for remembering and completing the less important things throughout your day.

7. Organizing a journal prompts you to be more directional in other areas of your life.

There are many ways to utilize a bullet journal, and reap the benefits of writing tasks down or making notes. If you can keep a journal organized, you will feel as though you can start to take control in other areas of your life. By writing goals down, you become more directional in your actions, and this can permeate into your job, your relationships, and your mental health.