Duaas For Exams

12 Islamic Prayers That'll Lift Your Test Anxiety And InshAllah Your Scores

Start with the right intention, and InshAllah you'll be on your way!

1015
Unsplash/ @kanialda
https://unsplash.com/photos/Csb83mXkCG4

So many of us, myself included, can get so spiritual at the onset of a test and then promptly lose all of that spirituality once the test or exam has passed. A lot of jokes are made about students who search up and memorize duaas (prayers) to help them through the test, but that doesn't make it any less true.

I was so guilty of doing this in middle school and for high school EOCs. But what I have learned is that the only way to make sure that these duaas get you anywhere is to make sure you have the best intention. Don't just become super spiritual because you want to pass; make the intention that you will continue to keep that connection despite whatever you get on the test and after you take the exam.

With that intention in mind, it is important to also realize that you can't just avoid studying and solely take the test based on your prayer. The whole point is that you study to the best of your ability, and then, God does the rest. InshAllah (God willingly) he will allow you to not make careless mistakes, forget information, get confused, feel stupid but rather allow you to pass the exam with flying colors.

Purify yourself; make a clear, beautiful and sincere intention; praise and thank your Creator, and ask away.

Remember: trust that your prayers are answered or taken care of.

1. "...Do not entrust me to myself even for the blink of an eye"

Transliteration:'Yaa hayyu yaa qayoomu, birahmatika astagheeth. Aslih liy sha-aniy kulluhu wa laa takilniy ilaa nafsiy tarfata aynin.'

Translation: On You Who is Everliving and Sustains and Protects everything, I seek assistance through the means of your mercy, correct for me all my affairs and do not entrust me to my Nafs (myself) for the moment of a blink of an eye.

It was also narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: If something upset him, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would say: "Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoom bi rahmatika astagheeth (O Ever Living, O Sustainer, by Your mercy I seek help)."

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3524; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 3182.

2. "...Your decree over me is just"

Transliteration: Allahuma ini abduka, wabnu aabdika, wabnu amatika, nasiyati biyadik, madhin fi hookmuk, aadlon fi qadhaook, asaluka bi kuliismin whowa laka samayta bihi nafsak, aw anzaltu fi kitabik, aw aalamtahu ahadan min khalqik.

3. "...Increase me in knowledge"

Transliteration:"rabi zidni ilma"

Translation: Oh my lord, increase me in knowledge.

4."...Nothing is easy except what you make easy..."

Transliteration:"Allahumma la sahla illa ma ja'altahu sahla, wa 'anta taj-alul hazna idha shi'ta sahla"

Translation: "O Allah! There is nothing easy except what You make easy, and You make the difficult easy if it be Your Will."

It was also narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "O Allaah, nothing is easy but that which You make easy and You can make hardship easy if You will."

Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan, 3/255; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 2886.

5. "... Open up my heart and make my task easy for me..."

Transliteration:Rabbishrah lee sadree Wayassir lee amree Wahlul 'uqdatan min lisanee Yafqahoo qawlee

Translation: "O my Sustainer! Open up my heart and make my task easy for me, and loosen the knot from my tongue so that they might fully understand my speech."

6. "Sufficient for us is Allah..."

Transliteration: “Hasbunallahu Wa Ni'mal Wakeel Ni'mal maula wa Ni'man naseer"

Translation: Sufficient for us is Allah, and He is the Best Guardian, the excellent protector and the excellent helper!"

7. "...Honor me by the light of understanding..."

Transliteration:Allaahumma akrimnee binooril fahmi wa kharrajanee min z'ulumaatil wahmi waftah' a'lainaa abwaaba i'lmak. Wan shur a'lainaa khuzzaanu ma'rifatika yaa arh'amar raah'imeen. Allaahumma waffiqnee fil mut'aala'ti bih'ablee jamee-i' mushkilaatil masaa-ili minal kutubi birah'matika yaa arh'amar raah'imeen.

Translation: Show us the doors of your knowledge and open upon us the treasure of your recognition, oh the best of the Merciful ones. Oh Allah, and give me Tawfeeq to study and solving all the difficult problems through books. By your mercy, oh the best of the merciful ones."

8. "...Fill my heart and mind with true enlightenment..."

Transliteration: SUBH'AANA MAN LAA YA-TADEE AA'LAA AHLI MAMLAKATIHEE SUBH'AANA MAN LAA YAAKHUD'U AHLAL ARZ'I BILWAANIL A'D'AABI SUBH'AANAR RA-OOFIR RAH'EEMI ALLAAHUMMAJ-A'L LEE FEE QALBEE NOORAN WA BAS'ARAN WA FAHMAN WA I'LMAN INNAKA A'LAA KULLI SHAY-IN QADEER

Translation: "Glory be to Him who does not treat the citizens of His Kingdom unjustly and harshly, Glory be to Him who does not let torment and pain come suddenly upon mankind, Glory be to the Compassionate, the Merciful. O Allah fill my heart and mind with true enlightenment, discerning intelligence, quick understanding and knowledge, Verily you are able to do all things."

9. "... Remind me of that which the shaytaan makes me forget."

Transliteration: "Salla-l-laahu alaa Muhammad wa aal-e Muhammad. Allahumma inni as'aluka yaa mudhakkira-l khayr wa faa'ilahu wa-l-aamimira bihi dhakir-ni maa ansaani-hi-shaytan."

Translation: "Blessings of Allah be upon Muhammad and his progeny. O Allah, I ask you, the one who mentions goodness and actualizes it and commands it, remind me of that which the shaytan makes me forget."

10. "... I entrust you with what I have read and I have studied..."

Transliteration: "Allahumma inni astaodeeka ma qara'tu wama hafaz-tu. Farudduhu 'allaya inda hajati elahi. Innaka 'ala ma-tasha'-u qadeer wa anta hasbeeya wa na'mal wakeel"

Translation: "Oh Allah! I entrust you with what I have read and I have studied. Oh Allah! Bring it back to me when I am in need of it. Oh Allah! You do whatever you wish, you are my availer and protector and the best of aid."

11. "... I put my trust in Allah..."

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever says – when leaving his house – Bismillaah, tawakkaltu 'ala Allaah, laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (In the name of Allaah, I put my trust in Allaah, there is no power and no strength except with Allaah), it will be said to him: You are taken care of and you are protected, and the Shaytaan will keep away from him."

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 5095; al-Tirmidhi, 3426; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

12. Dua of Yunus (AS)

It was narrated that Sa'd ibn Abi Waqqaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The prayer of Dhu'l-Noon when he was in the belly of the fish: 'Laa ilaaha illa Anta, subhaanaka inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen (There is no god but You, glory to You, verily I was one of the wrongdoers).' A Muslim never calls upon his Lord with these words concerning any matter, but his prayer is answered."

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3505; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 1644.