Doing Things Alone Is Normal

My Drunk Alter-Ego Will Stop At Nothing To Get Me To Do Things Alone

Doing anything alone is scary but you end up doing it anyway so why not start now.

154

I was sitting in a bar with my friends and I saw Seu Jorge tickets for sale to the Fox Theater in Oakland (If you don't know who he is? Look him up!). I spent maybe an hour begging one of my friends to come with me but I failed. Instead, my drunk alter-ego, Veronica, bought one ticket to the concert for my sober self. Until today I cannot thank her enough.

I woke up with a slim memory for what I did the night before. Then I saw a confirmation ticket to a Seu Jorge concert. I thought to myself "Oh my gosh, I need to find a friend to go with," so for the next 3 weeks I was on a mission.

I failed of course and ended up at that concert by myself.

Like a true Wes Anderson fan, I rolled up to this Seu Jorge concert in a blue top, blue jeans, white sneakers and a red beanie hat. I was dressed as if I was a crew member of "Team Zissou" (if you really don't know what I'm referring to... you are canceled).

Turns out everyone who was there was wearing the same outfit I had on. I stood almost all the way in front, watching a man sing David Bowie songs in Portuguese and it was the best thing I did by myself. No bothers, no one to look for, no one to tell me what to do or where to stand. I was in complete control.

So my solo adventures began.

I started with all the starred places on my google maps. These included restaurants, museums and of course Ice cream shops. I go to the beach by myself, watch movies by myself and starting catching flights by myself. Most recently I bought Iceland tickets, and guess what? Yes! I'm going by myself!

I credit Veronica, my alter-ego who really started it all. I obviously don't get drunk every time I decided to do something because that wouldn't just make me a functioning alcoholic but my decisions would have been questioned. I mean they're questioned now even in my sober state.

Doing anything alone is not a scary thing. It might seem odd at first but you find out that it's completely something normal that tons of others do as well. I just needed a little nudge and who better than giving me that nudge than myself.
Be a little brave this week and do something by yourself. Some may cope-well doing things alone and some might not. The whole idea is to try. I think it's an excellent way to really get in touch with who you are and learn more about yourself.